Author Topic: [Theme] Lens Flare  (Read 73717 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: [Theme] Lens Flare
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2017, 23:03:48 »
You can expect some flare using the mobile Sony Xperia Z close to the sun, but I didn't expect this kind of 'fireworks'   ;)

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2017, 23:38:31 »
I have seen that kind of fireworks from the 20mm UD as well. ;)

Bushaeuschen- by b j, on Flickr
Buddy

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2017, 05:25:35 »
If you point at the sun you expect flare and ghosts, but here the sensor(Fujifilm XE-1) added a bit of decorative color to the flare of the 300/4 AF-S(@f/5.6) just before the beginning of totality during the recent total solar eclipse over Oregon, USA:
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2017, 21:24:40 »
If you point at the sun you expect flare and ghosts, but here the sensor(Fujifilm XE-1) added a bit of decorative color to the flare of the 300/4 AF-S(@f/5.6) just before the beginning of totality during the recent total solar eclipse over Oregon, USA:
That could give a record cover or be printed on a science fiction novel.
-/-/-

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #259 on: August 27, 2017, 21:13:16 »
I have seen that kind of fireworks from the 20mm UD as well. ;)

And from the 28 f/3.5 as well

Hans Cremers

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2017, 06:41:13 »
The lenses of the 1960's create "The Flare We All Grew Up With", both in stills and movies.  Your 28/3.5 has that look.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2017, 09:16:10 »
Buddy and Kieth, your images are depicting heaven ;)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2017, 18:07:16 »
This is a effect has never happen to me before. Nikon 24-70 2.8 vr at f/22. In the second image, not so underexposed, the line of light is gone (and the guy with the crown appears but that´s another story leading to the final shot  ;D)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2018, 18:56:49 »
The Nikkor 35-200mm f/3.5-4.5 AI-S  @35mm f/3.5

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2018, 20:44:36 »

Wow, Keith, are these caused by the phase detect pixels?

The Nikkor 35-200mm f/3.5-4.5 AI-S  @35mm f/3.5

John, the ghosts look pretty!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2018, 21:14:44 »
Wow, Keith, are these caused by the phase detect pixels?
There are no phase detect pixels in the XE-1 as far as I know.  The little colored arcs are made as visible as appears here by a strong post-production lifting of the shadows. 

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2018, 21:20:22 »

John, the ghosts look pretty!
Yes agree. Unusual set of ghosts.  ;)

Actually the lens is pretty flare resistant. But the construction with 17 glass parts is special

Marco Cavina analyzed this lens: "https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.nital.it/nikkor-historical/35-200mm.php&prev=search 

"In this diagram all the parameters related to the optical scheme are present: refraction and dispersion of the glasses, radii of curvature of the lenses, thicknesses and spaces on the axis, variable distances with the flotations. The optical scheme of the Nikkor 35-200mm is based on four groups of main lenses, all mobile, which involves four variable spacings during the focal variation and focusing: spaces D5, D13, D19 and the retrofocal distance Bf; the focal length of the lens is 36.12 - 193.96mm and its optic core is an amazing arsenal of special optical glasses, to the point that on 17 lenses only 5 cone were made with optical glasses with "normal" characteristics:"

"they are above all present two low dispersion glasses of the Phosphor-Krown type and proprietary formulation (L2 - L10), with Abbe number exceeding 70;"

"it is interesting to know that, in the original project by Tomowaki Takahashi, inventor of the scheme, the second lens was made of ED glass (even lower dispersion, with Abbe vD = 82.6 instead of 70.1), a further refinement it was renounced by setting production to avoid further burdening costs."

"There are also four Short-Flint glasses with high-very high refraction and high dispersion (L1 - L5 - L8 - L11), one of which refers to the Schott SF6 and the other three to a Nikon proprietary glass much used by its designers and characterized from a refractive index of 1,861, a value outperformed by the impressive Lanthanum Short-Flint in position L4, a glass with very high refraction (even higher than 1.9) and proportionally reduced dispersion with respect to this refractive value (vD = 35,8): as a reference, they are values ​​that bring together those of the famous glass "Leica Noctilux" ..."

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2018, 22:17:34 »
There are no phase detect pixels in the XE-1 as far as I know.  The little colored arcs are made as visible as appears here by a strong post-production lifting of the shadows.

Thank you, Keith, for the details.  So, the artifact is caused by the error in ACR of the older version.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2018, 22:18:48 »
Yes agree. Unusual set of ghosts.  ;)

Actually the lens is pretty flare resistant. But the construction with 17 glass parts is special

Marco Cavina analyzed this lens: "https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.nital.it/nikkor-historical/35-200mm.php&prev=search 

Wow, thank you for the link.  The article blows the "1001 Night" away!

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #269 on: March 15, 2018, 01:55:42 »
Thank you, Keith, for the details.  So, the artifact is caused by the error in ACR of the older version.
I don't think the colored shape artifacts are software-generated.  I think that the colored spots are more like ghost images generated by the lens optics and reflections from the sensor.  Notice that they mimic the shape of the solar crescent.   I may try a re-creation test by shooting with the sun partially obscured by an intervening object, but today it is too cloudy.