Author Topic: Getting Familiar with the New Nikon 500 f/4E, FL, ED, VR lens  (Read 1375 times)

Nancy Elwood

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Naturesportal
Getting Familiar with the New Nikon 500 f/4E, FL, ED, VR lens
« on: September 19, 2015, 01:19:30 »
Hello to all.  I was fortunate to sell my Nikon 500 f/4 AF-SII, non VR lens shortly after putting it on the market, although it was a great tool for many years, for when Nikon came out with the new FL, lighter 500, I really wanted to update!  I have had the new 500 only for the past few weeks, and it is an incredible piece of kit.  One of the first times out with it, I tried it with and without the Nikon 1.4E III TC, and mostly handholding it.  The weight is of course the biggest difference, plus the balance, excellent for those times you would like to handhold.  This image, which is a 100% crop of a green heron, is with the TC attached to my D810, iso 1600, 1/640, f/8, handheld.  I use a 3 sharpening setting in camera, but no further sharpening was done to this image. Post processed in NX-D. I have also found due to the decrease weight to be able to get a lighter tripod and use a ballhead, instead of my Wimberly head, mostly when travelling by airline and such.  I am in love for sure  :)!!!
All the best
Nancy Elwood
http://www.naturesportal.net/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Getting Familiar with the New Nikon 500 f/4E, FL, ED, VR lens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 12:07:44 »
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Great post to start off with.

I've seen that you've posted this shot in another board as well, so i would propose to have one of both locked by the admins.
Hans Cremers