Author Topic: Thinnest Extension for Nikon F-Mount?  (Read 7713 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Thinnest Extension for Nikon F-Mount?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 20:37:11 »
Longer screws *are* required. Unless the shim(s) itself is mounted to different screw holes than those of the bayonet.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 22:27:54 »
Longer screws *are* required. Unless the shim(s) itself is mounted to different screw holes than those of the bayonet.

If anyone has an example, I would love to see a photo of how to add a "little" shim, and the steps involved, please.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 09:51:30 »
I would respectfully suggest buying a Sony A7 series body and using one of the macro focusing Nikon F to Sony E mount adapters available. They will work with any lens with a non-electronic diaphragm (but hard to set aperture accurately with the sliding collar). Still it works, and gives continuous focus.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 11:12:18 »
I would respectfully suggest buying a Sony A7 series body and using one of the macro focusing Nikon F to Sony E mount adapters available. They will work with any lens with a non-electronic diaphragm (but hard to set aperture accurately with the sliding collar). Still it works, and gives continuous focus.

Been there, done that...many times.. with the A7s, the A7r, A7R2, and A7R3. No thanks! LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 16:06:33 »
I would note that with the K-1 ring, although you can mount it to an AF lens, the AF contacts will be pressing against the body of the ring, and most Nikon instructions will tell you you should not do that, though they're not specific why.  They just state that the K-1 ring is incompatible with AF cameras.  It is possible to take a Dremel tool or the like, and grind away a little of the inside of the ring to give clearance, and it then appears to be entirely safe to mount an AF lens.

Thinking out loud here, what would happen if you were to take the mounting ring flange off a dead camera, and the corresponding flange from a dead lens, and screw them together?  That would be a little thinner than a K-1.

e.t.a. here is a quick and dirty modification of a K-1.  I'm sure one of the proper machinists here could do it much more nicely, as this was done simply with a dremel tool freehand.  As you can see I slipped a little and ground off a bit of the mounting bayonet, and you can notice also that the ring is so thin in one spot that it went through to the other side.  But it's not compromised in use, and it clears all AF lens contacts handily. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 16:36:53 »
... Thinking out loud here, what would happen if you were to take the mounting ring flange off a dead camera, and the corresponding flange from a dead lens, and screw them together?  That would be a little thinner than a K-1.

Not thinner by much. Plus there has to be room for the release mechanism -- otherwise the contraption would be stuck dead on the lens ....

The K1 builds 5.8mm if memory serves. Perhaps one can trim this to a fraction of a mm less, but not more.

Adding a solid shim to inside of the camera's mount would allow for a much thinner "extension", however the camera then cannot function with the normal focusing range intact.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 19:38:19 »
K1 is the shortest possible way.

I cut one apart an measured it, it can’t be shorter. The 3 flange wings has to have something to grab onto.

It should be in the thread from our NG trip to south Germany,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 21:35:09 »
Deleted my redundant post.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 05:37:46 »
K1 is the shortest possible way. ....

For an F mount lens.

Michael also mentioned a Leica lens in there somewhere too.
If the Lieca is an older M39 mount, then that needs a simple adapter M42/M39 -> Fmount.
There are some issues you need to be aware of with the cheapie M39->F adapters too.
The extension on the simple adapters is about 1mm. Obviously you don't get infinity focus with M39/M42 lenses on the F mount, but I'm sure that's what Michael is looking for anyhow.

Is the Leica lens a Leica M-mount or M39 type.
Arthur

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 07:37:50 »
I would note that with the K-1 ring, although you can mount it to an AF lens, the AF contacts will be pressing against the body of the ring, and most Nikon instructions will tell you you should not do that, though they're not specific why.  They just state that the K-1 ring is incompatible with AF cameras.

They just state that the K-1 ring is incompatible with AF lenses. That is why K1 is not mention in the manual of the camera, only K2 is mention in the manual of the camera. K1 is mention as not compatible with AF-lenses, and that is in the manual of the lenses. And it is stated why:
Do not attach the following accessories directly to the lens: PK-1 or PK-
11 auto extension rings, BR-4 or BR-2 auto rings, or K1 or K2 rings (the
PK-11A and BR-2A can be used in place of the PK-11 and BR-2, respec-
tively). Failure to observe this precaution will result in damage to the
CPU contacts or other parts of the lens.
(copyed from the manual of AF Micro-Nikkor 60 mm f/2.8D) (They are very inacurate about BR2 and K2 by the way. Those are no way to attach directly to that particular lens)
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 07:51:11 »
i have an even thinner one. not really an extension ring but used for something else. it's just here somewhere i just don't have the time to look for it in a small heap of spare parts  :o :o :o

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 16:47:42 »
I see I mis-remembered which K ring is forbidden in the camera manuals, and am probably mis-remembering whether this has come up before.

There is no explanation of the K-2 issue.  It looks as if the K-2 clears AI tabs, and clears the CPU contacts in the camera.  It's not listed as forbidden for the F4, which suggests it's safe for CPU contacts.  I've tried it on a couple of cameras with no apparent issues.  Is there some incompatibility I've missed?  I turned down the skirt of a K-2 just to be doubly sure it would never hit an AI follower, but it seems to leave plenty of room.  Am I missing something here?

edit to add:  there does seem to be an issue with the K2, that it locks on in only two of its three possible positions.  It seems the pin hole does not line up, and I'm not entirely sure why, but it does not seem to do any harm.  This seems to be true on all AI-compatible cameras, including the F3 and F4 for which the K2 is not listed as incompatible, so that factor alone does not seem to disqualify it.

Another edit to add:  a little experimentation reveals that the hole misalignment is tiny.  I enlarged the hole a very little bit just with the point of a pen knife, and it clicked in.  If pin alignment is the only barrier to using a K-2 on recent cameras, enlarging the hole by about a millimeter or less fixes it.  It's the hole counter-clockwise from the K2 designation, as you face the flange, and you need to expand it slightly clockwise, or towards the K2, towards the outer diameter.  It's so close already that it might click in if you just bevel it a little.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 09:20:38 »
For an F mount lens.

Michael also mentioned a Leica lens in there somewhere too.
If the Lieca is an older M39 mount, then that needs a simple adapter M42/M39 -> Fmount.
There are some issues you need to be aware of with the cheapie M39->F adapters too.
The extension on the simple adapters is about 1mm. Obviously you don't get infinity focus with M39/M42 lenses on the F mount, but I'm sure that's what Michael is looking for anyhow.

Is the Leica lens a Leica M-mount or M39 type.

Well the question is F-mount to F-mount extension,,, ;) To be able to add just a bit more extension with short focus length F-mount lenses.

Michael was recommended that it is possible to change the F-mount on lenses. There are substitute mounts available. Therefore we briefly talked about Leica R lenses, since that could be slightly relevant to use a conversion F-mount as a substitute mount,,,

Leica M lenses and Leica thread mount lenses are not really relevant here, unless you flip up the mirror and seat the lens inside the mirror box,,,  :o   ;D
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 09:47:29 »
I see I mis-remembered which K ring is forbidden in the camera manuals, and am probably mis-remembering whether this has come up before.

There is no explanation of the K-2 issue.  It looks as if the K-2 clears AI tabs, and clears the CPU contacts in the camera.  It's not listed as forbidden for the F4, which suggests it's safe for CPU contacts.  I've tried it on a couple of cameras with no apparent issues.  Is there some incompatibility I've missed?  I turned down the skirt of a K-2 just to be doubly sure it would never hit an AI follower, but it seems to leave plenty of room.  Am I missing something here?

edit to add:  there does seem to be an issue with the K2, that it locks on in only two of its three possible positions.  It seems the pin hole does not line up, and I'm not entirely sure why, but it does not seem to do any harm.  This seems to be true on all AI-compatible cameras, including the F3 and F4 for which the K2 is not listed as incompatible, so that factor alone does not seem to disqualify it.

Another edit to add:  a little experimentation reveals that the hole misalignment is tiny.  I enlarged the hole a very little bit just with the point of a pen knife, and it clicked in.  If pin alignment is the only barrier to using a K-2 on recent cameras, enlarging the hole by about a millimeter or less fixes it.  It's the hole counter-clockwise from the K2 designation, as you face the flange, and you need to expand it slightly clockwise, or towards the K2, towards the outer diameter.  It's so close already that it might click in if you just bevel it a little.

Hmmm, not really impressed by the 'advice'

As a general note; Please make sure you have your facts right when recommending or commenting on such things as warnings regarding mismatching or matching parts, it's almost impossible if one has to read through several posts to get to an answer.

Please check your facts before posting if your in doubt. Thanks - Of course your allowed to think that we are wrong,,,

Maybe reread this thread where Bjørn and Roland among others lens gurus try to tell you their seasoned Hands-on knowledge of the K-Ring Set from Nikon.

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=5211.0

Erik Lund

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 16:24:24 »

I don't have F3 or F4. But my K2 mounts and locks in every three posistion on FE and FA but not on any of my autofocus cameras. Same applies to BR2
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.