Author Topic: [Portfolio] More Old Stuff - Street  (Read 31159 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: More Old Stuff - Street
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 22:49:51 »
Movies = 120 minutes of hyperbole.

I do remember shooting a gang story. The LAPD had a new tactic for gang intervention. The police thought it would be better for gangs to confront each other in a sporting contest than on the streets in a firefight. The police arranged a football game between two rival gangs. (As American football is extremely violent, I didn't think choosing this sport was a wise choice.) As I waited at the school where the match was to be held, parked on the basketball court adjacent to the football field, I see two separate caravans of highly polished older cars, circling the school. After the caravans had circumnavigated the school, they all drove onto the basketball courts and the rival gangs piled out for the game. I met my gang contact and introduced myself. It was a hot summer day but he was wearing a knit cap on top of his bald head. I didn't think much of the bald head and knit cap as Jose was a gang member and both were de rigueur for gangs. But his responses were slow, slurred and distant. Soon another gang member started speaking with me. He was surprisingly articulate and everything started going as planned. Later, the articulate gang member explained to me that Jose, in the knit cap, wasn't doing so well today. Last night a knife was thrust two inches into his head. Jose couldn't get medical treatment because the hospital was located in another gang's territory. Consequently, all they could do was remove the blade and slap a bandage on top.   

Wow, I'm speechless !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 10:56:05 »
Your off to a flying start here Gary!
Erik Lund

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 16:16:49 »
Your off to a flying start here Gary!
Thank you Erik. With the amount of individual and collective talent on this site ... I am reluctant to post. But my stuff seems to be appreciated.   :)
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 16:18:46 »

More Street Gang
Nikon F w/ Nikkor 28mm, Tri-X
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 17:09:21 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 17:45:55 »
Very happy to see More Old Stuff - Street continuing the saga  !!

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 18:23:09 »
(...) I am reluctant to post. But my stuff seems to be appreciated.   :)

And I thought that the understatement was a very British thing, not Californian ! :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 15:54:59 »
And I thought that the understatement was a very British thing, not Californian ! :-)

Californians brag about our weather, our beaches, our mountains, our cities, our farms, our snow, our deserts, our universities, our agriculture, et cetera ... but never about our photography.   ;)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 15:56:54 »

Ready for Anything
Nikon F w/ Nikkor 20mm, Tri-X

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 16:05:42 »
You had to squat for this one... :-) Impressive, as I remember the time when most kids from anywhere in the world would have toy guns ! Now it's really frown upon, and you can't even find them in shops...

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 19:41:26 »
Although your images are phenomenal Gary, I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that the box doesn't contain Patrice  :'(

Now tell us the full story with the boy and the rifle :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 22:51:25 »
The boy with the rifle: Expressionwise he seems to be much older than he really was at that time.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 08:36:08 »
Ah - toy guns.... us girls loved them too!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 17:08:11 »
You had to squat for this one... :-) Impressive, as I remember the time when most kids from anywhere in the world would have toy guns ! Now it's really frown upon, and you can't even find them in shops...

And we all had Daisy BB guns so we can shoot out an eye from our sibling.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 17:12:48 »
Although your images are phenomenal Gary, I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that the box doesn't contain Patrice  :'(

Now tell us the full story with the boy and the rifle :)

LOL ... she's still in pretty good shape, in her spare time she teaches aerobics and yoga.

No real story on the kid with the M-16. It was lunchtime, I was bored at work, so I took a walk down Broadway and this kid with his hand in his pocket and a toy rifle strapped around his neck was walking in the opposing direction. I took his picture and keep on walking. That's it.