Author Topic: New house on the block  (Read 9437 times)

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
Re: New house on the block
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 14:43:21 »
And a ... somewhat streched ... subset edit

Must had been a lovely street before they have built this.
Alexander

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 16:17:00 »
Granted the building does not reflect the surrounding structures. In California, this would not be an issue ... this is how we build ... but Germany is not California. So Frank, what does the community think of this non-conformity?

I just realized that a very creative architect would have a problem realizing his creative potential in many areas of the world.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 17:00:20 »
i like the tulet in the center
   So do I. Also the contrast with the white and red sign on the left and the weird play of the -cable?- on the top right, going from one building to the other.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 18:29:34 »
In bw as a planet
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 18:31:59 »
   So do I. Also the contrast with the white and red sign on the left and the weird play of the -cable?- on the top right, going from one building to the other.

There is a street lamp hanging from a cable between the houses

The toilet is an important elememt for me.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 19:46:40 »
There is a street lamp hanging from a cable between the houses

The toilet is an important elememt for me.

I think that for most of us, toilets, are very significant in our daily lives.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 19:47:52 »
The visual appearance of a building is...or should be...important, but more important is how it feels to live and/or work in and around the building.  At best, both are satisfied.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 20:29:45 »
I will take some more angles. Maybe I get a permit to also take some shots inside.

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:29 »
Great image!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 09:33:02 »
To give a better idea of the building, I offer this crop plus an interpretation. The ugly building in the back left was the first sin in this area.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 13:24:54 »
I think that the new building is reasonably well integrated into the existing structures. Nice documentation.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 18:55:28 »
Simone: The existing structure seems to be the problem IMO.

I did another nice perspective today. My Old Computer needs a while to render.

Yes. Here we go:

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 15:57:57 »
It certainly does not fit in. But with equal certainly, this is not an ugly building. Viewing with my Los Angeles eyes, where the building code are not very restrictive, the entire scene looks pleasing. But in a more homogeneous city, this would stick out like a sore thumb.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 17:31:24 »
Simone: The existing structure seems to be the problem IMO.
Can you elaborate? To me it looks like they did a decent job at using the existing lines in the adjacent buildings and interpreted them in a new way. Sure, the new building is recognizable as from a different era, but it does not overshadow the existing buildings IMO. I guess we have many different viewpoints here, but I'd like to understand them better.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 19:47:46 »
Simone: The idea of this thread is to show the house from different angles to get the idea.

It it a corner building connecting the 19th century "Münsterstraße" --- the street leading to Bonn's big central Basilica: http://bonner-muenster.de/ and the "Mühlheimer Platz" with the old townhall build in the 18th century. The connection was originally perforned by a house called "Siemens-House", a heritage building from the 1950ies.

On the other side there is the "Cassius Bastei" a very ugly building, featuring the "Coiffeur / Friseur Slamanig" as you can see on yesterday's rendering, an ugly concrete silo build in the 1970ies to replace two nice blocks of 18th and 19th century heritage buildings.

On the other side, best seen on the little planet above is the "Karstadt" deartment store (backside of it).

The "Mühlheimer Platz" is not a plaza, it is more of a hose, a tube a long space a bit wider than a normal street but on both sides large buildings tower over it and the exit ramp of a huge underground parking does contribute to the not so nice a place for a pleasent stay. Trees are missing also, a lot of Lories in the morning bringing their delivery to the department stare and a lot of illegal parking and private car taffic is there too.

I guess a few trees and cafes and an efficient traffic management could create a nice place there and the Cassius Bastei should sure be redeveloped to have a lighter and greener effect on its environment. It all feels too dense like a steep gorge or canyon full of dusty air, hot in the summer cold in the winter, univiting.