Author Topic: Far Below Any Sane Assumption  (Read 35930 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Far Below Any Sane Assumption
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2016, 02:37:20 »
Night time Camel ride.  Two hours late getting to the Camel Sanctuary and sun was long gone and Full moon still low.
Df, DC105 f2D 1/100, +.7 EV ISO over 12,800 but at least a record of the even  ;)

Love the shot. Impressive how the colors shine & super interaction! Does not look worse than a 400 ISO slide fgilm, slightly unterexposed.

I have clean & clear shots with my D3 at 12.800. I feel one has to overexpose a bit.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2016, 13:03:13 »
D500 w. Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8@ iso 45600 (24mm, 1/100 s, f/2.8) Noise reduction on background , otherwise minor adjustments.

Nikon D500 at iso 45600 by tersn, on Flickr
Terje S.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2016, 15:30:41 »
Only thing I'd like to see here is the cat's tongue. Would add an interesting dot of pink color to the otherwise quite monchrome scene. 55 Thosand on DX. Who would have ever thought about it?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2016, 16:25:27 »
Yes, the tongue would have been nice, but the world is not always perfect  :) Of course, 45600 iso is close to the native limit  (iso 51200) for the D500, so we cannot expect too much from such an image regarding details.
I look forward to finding some time for shooting birds and wildlife. At present I am rather busy, so cats and flowers will have to do for now.
Terje S.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2016, 01:29:55 »
3am in the morning. We drove to one national park to capture a sunrise. taken @ 60 mph. In the upper right corner some clouds are lighten up by the moon.
D3s, Hi3 (approx ISO 102.400), 1/160s, f2.8

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2016, 03:28:15 »
Terje, cat images are most welcome indeed, as are test shots that explore this exciting new camera's limits. 

So hard to imagine what ardent film photographers would have thought 20 or so years ago if they were to see todays ISO 50,000 images from a sensor that has just under half the area size of the 135 / 24x36mm film format.   ISO 1600 was considered very fast back then - and it was a dammed sight more grainy as well.

Yes, the tongue would have been nice, but the world is not always perfect  :) Of course, 45600 iso is close to the native limit  (iso 51200) for the D500, so we cannot expect too much from such an image regarding details.
I look forward to finding some time for shooting birds and wildlife. At present I am rather busy, so cats and flowers will have to do for now.
Hugh Gunn

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2016, 08:59:18 »
Andy. Very nice effect, all the blue and red dots in the black.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2017, 13:23:20 »
An ir modified d80 that with personality. I thought there was no image recorded at all but this guy was there. Lola made him subtle

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2017, 21:56:34 »
Hello!

A new user here, but I've been reading this site for a long time. I like the idea of pushing the cameras as far as they can go ... and a little beyond that! Here's the Fuji X-T2 at ISO 25,600. With the latest generations of sensors, good low light capability has arrived even for amateur cameras. Shooting at ISO 5,000 (second image) is relaxed and normal.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2017, 00:06:25 »
An ir modified d80 that with personality. I thought there was no image recorded at all but this guy was there. Lola made him subtle

Paco, I am really happy you took up this thread again.

The image has a disturbing quality to it. Very good.

I cannot put my finger in it. Might also be the moderation.

You say "this guy was there" and I see a tree. Great storytelling

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2017, 00:12:43 »
Hello!

A new user here, but I've been reading this site for a long time. I like the idea of pushing the cameras as far as they can go ... and a little beyond that! Here's the Fuji X-T2 at ISO 25,600. With the latest generations of sensors, good low light capability has arrived even for amateur cameras. Shooting at ISO 5,000 (second image) is relaxed and normal.

Welcome to this very interesting place. Very good people. Photographers. Tech Heads. Just nice people also.

Go introduce yourself in the introduction thread!

25.600ISO .... There but not great since 2008 when the Nikon D3 arrived. Today I have a D500 that can go up to 1.5 Million ISO. I did not even try this yet. Maybe I should and post findings here?

Welcome again. Frank

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2017, 09:32:04 »
Today I have a D500 that can go up to 1.5 Million ISO. I did not even try this yet. Maybe I should and post findings here?

Of course you should!

According to the Photons to photos site, the Fuji X-T2 (and many other recent DX cameras) can now match the legendary D3: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#FujiFilm%20X-T2,Nikon%20D3 . I can have the same low light performance in a much smaller, cheaper and lighter camera (500 grams vs. 1300 grams  :) ), that I can just toss in my bag whenever I go out.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:18 »
It is time to get back to a log scale for sensitivities... as was the case with the (now discontinued) DIN scale for instance. Cannot make sense of 1500000 ISO without some efforts :)
Airy Magnien

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2017, 17:51:01 »
It is time to get back to a log scale for sensitivities... as was the case with the (now discontinued) DIN scale for instance. Cannot make sense of 1500000 ISO without some efforts :)
1.5 MISO (Mega-ISO)?
-/-/-

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2017, 09:09:21 »
Mmm... Now let us see....

100 ISO is 21° DIN

Then 1,000,000 ISO should be around 61° DIN?

So 1,500,000 ISO should then be around 63° DIN.

Hugh Gunn