Author Topic: Nikon Df vs. D700 in terms of usability  (Read 11340 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Nikon Df vs. D700 in terms of usability
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 22:02:52 »
Cold climate vs warm climate ???

Or using LiveView vs. not using it ?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 22:19:10 »
I use liveview only occasionally, but I do check the image on the rear LCD after having taken it.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 23:21:40 »
Liveview, AF, VR... when only using MF Nikkors and shooting without checks, battery is no issue. I guess Andrea's figures are correct then. When using the 300/4 PF VR that's another story. But it is a compelling combo, the retro camera with the newly designed lens...
Airy Magnien

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 05:14:26 »
Yes, I should have mentioned my figures are for lenses such as the 24-70/2.8G AFS, 60/2.8G Micro-Nikkor, 28/1.8G AFS or similar AFS primes none of which stresses the battery much. I just got the 70-200/4G AFS and haven't used it enough to get a feel for its hit on the Df battery.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 17:12:52 »
For me, the difference between the Df and the D700 are - the Df is a get out of the way, creativity, have fun and makes some images camera.  The D700 is a tool, have to pay the bills, run and gun, and make some images camera.

The Df is my favorite camera of all time, so far.  If you told me I could only ever use one camera from now until the end of my life - the Df with a 50mm on it and I'd be happy. 
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 18:00:51 »
Well, I am using the D700 next to the Df for more than a month. And the conclusion is, I love the Df.  And use the D700 less, although it's solid as a rock, still has a very good ISO-performance and is a very reliable camera which never lets you down.

Battery Life of Df is at least twice as good (two days of heavy shooting), LV (although I not use it often) is easy accessible, ISO-range unbelievable. Plus Lens compatibility on a Df is much better, not only with primes but most MF lenses. And the smaller size and lesser weight are huge bonuses as well.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 18:51:10 »
As a matter of facts, I got the Df as a D700 replacement (I gave it to my daughter) ! I liked the D700 because it didn't have video and could manage low light in it's era, but disliked the flash that I felt as "flimsy". The Df is much lighter, has a better battery (I get easily the 1400 shots per charge, but I don't chimp not use Live view and seldom use VR).
I did view the D700 in it's time as a voyager/street/marriage camera more then a studio/sport/BIF one (in fact it's more about lenses, short or long ones), in this regard the Df is a great replacement... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.