Author Topic: Question: which filter system to acquire for landscape?  (Read 3834 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Question: which filter system to acquire for landscape?
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:51:57 »
I am looking for a filter kit for landscape photography. Lens diameters are 67-72-77mm. My widest lens is the 20mm on D750. Which kit/filters would you recommend that includes CP, ND hard/soft grad, and standard ND filters? Would you recommend a warming polarizer or not for Nikon? I heard that Lee is pretty good but it's very expensive. Cokin holder (Z-pro for wide angle) seems to be effective with Singh Ray filters but I don't think I can buy them here (Netherlands).

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Peter

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Question: which filter system to acquire for landscape?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:56:22 »
There is also some information in this topic, Peter.   http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=1170.0

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:03:44 »
There is also some information in this topic, Peter.   http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=1170.0

Thank you for including the link, John. My search skills must be pretty basic because I searched for "filters" and 2 posts showed up but not this one. Some spectacular photos!
When Lee Filters is the way to go, I was hoping to get away with the 100mm instead of the SW150 but I will look into this system.
Peter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 13:19:22 »
The massive 150mm filters applied in that thread were used for an AFS 14-24 Nikkor.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 16:16:01 »
I use the LEE filter holder, it is high quality but a bit expensive. I have tried cheap Cokin holders, they are plastic fantastic, but they do their job. More important is the quality of the filters. Do not use Cokin filters! I use Hitec filters for ND grads, and LEE Big Stopper for 10-stops ND. For polarizer I use normal screw-in type, without filter holder. I have the Singh-Ray Colour Combo polarizer, but I don't like what it does to the colours. Go for a normal polarizer.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 16:39:32 »
My research pointed at Lee as the best filters. My research concluded that most other filters had color shifts. Seemed the more expensive the less shift ... but still a shift. For filter holder I went with this company. They make high quality filter hardware at significantly cheaper prices than Lee.

http://www.thefilterdude.com/
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 16:44:20 »
I use the LEE filter holder, it is high quality but a bit expensive. I have tried cheap Cokin holders, they are plastic fantastic, but they do their job. More important is the quality of the filters. Do not use Cokin filters! I use Hitec filters for ND grads, and LEE Big Stopper for 10-stops ND. For polarizer I use normal screw-in type, without filter holder. I have the Singh-Ray Colour Combo polarizer, but I don't like what it does to the colours. Go for a normal polarizer.

My research pointed at Lee as the best filters. My research concluded that most other filters had color shifts. Seemed the more expensive the less shift ... but still a shift. For filter holder I went with this company. They make high quality filter hardware at significantly cheaper prices than Lee.

http://www.thefilterdude.com/

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will opt for Lee.

Hi Gary. I am not following you wherever you go. Just a coincidence that we virtually meet again.
Peter

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 19:44:32 »
 ;)

Good luck with the Lee, expensive but like Nikon, quality isn't cheap.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.