Author Topic: Edit Challenge #2: IR dream from Utah, or was it a neighbor planet?  (Read 6142 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Edit Challenge #2: IR dream from Utah, or was it a neighbor planet?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 13:36:30 »
Well it is time to pass it on and there were some great effort here.

I like the contrasty processing of Jakov, Werner (Alaun) and Andrea.  I am also impressed by how well details in the shadows were kept in these.

Jakov's squeeze of the proportions caught the attention at first sight, and there were some interesting greens showing up in the shadows.

Elsa's stars are also very creative.

Johns graphic effect is very interesting, almost like a lithography. I wonder what it would have looked with a different crop.

Amando's  addition of clouds worked quite well, although the contrast feels a bit mellow.

Frank brought the green/yellows back into the vegetation along with the blue sky.

And then zuglufttier's red planet version stands out in not using the trick of moving the color channels, and the crop works well. While this might seem sophisticated than the other processing, I think that it image wise works quite well here, especially since the sky is light enough to make it orange rather than the less pleasant dark browns that often occur without moving color channels on a clear sky.

Very hard choices  here but a "winner" has to be declared.
Although I was somewhat biased toward a red planet version a priori,
I think that Andrea's selection of crop, with excellent detail and creation of a moonlit landscape with the dark sky stands out among these in the simplicity of the composition. It could make a nice print to hang on the wall. So I must pass the challenge back to you Andrea.   

Finally my own edit which I did long time ago. It suffers a bit from some halos around the mountains, especially the pinnacle, so I  am not quite sure how much I like it any longer. The crop could also be better.

Øivind Tøien

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Edit Challenge #2: IR dream from Utah, or was it a neighbor planet?
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 17:25:32 »
Øivind -- Thank you for the kind remarks about my edit. Your foto was a good Edit Challenge foto because there were many directions in which to take it.

I have been on vacation in Yellowstone National Park and have just now returned home to be online once again. So I will start the next Edit Challenge very soon.