Author Topic: camera bag  (Read 26905 times)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: camera bag
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2015, 11:35:39 »
Is it the nice blue one on the left?....  :o
:D :D :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2015, 11:35:49 »
Jakov: Funny how taste differs, I personally don't think that Gura Gear is pretty (I don't think it is ugly either), I much prefer the look of the Domke bags. 

My walkaround bag is this one: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-10-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

Jørgen, I am not surprised that you like Domke and Billingham as the majority of the world's photo community probably does.
De gustibus non est disputandum - Taste is not for discussion :)
Your Thinktank is nice, but it doesn't have two handles and it has a flap...
I saw other Thinktank Urban Disguise bags that look also nice, but have a peculiar flap on the front side of the bag, to which I don't know the purpose?

It's got 1 handle and a shoulder strap. Not sure where you'd place the second handle? The flap is the only cover the bag have, they could use a couple of zippers instead but I actually think this is an easier way to enter the bag. It closes with velcro, which is noisy, but you can silence the velcro if needed.

I have this one as well and I'm pretty happy with it.
Chris Dees

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2015, 14:16:29 »
Erik. Because I made a lot of money taking photos of meat and
sausages I guess it is not the blue one in this case.

The blue one is terracotta. Not the best material for a camera bag
For outdoors I follow our leader and have a red car with a trunk as
 my mobile bag. The content of that trunk are many times the price
of the car itself....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 12:10:18 »
My lime, latex, sexy, waterproof Ortlieb arrived!!!

First impressions:

- sexy;
- loads of space;
- flat bottom, good for inserts, stands straight;
- the material is so sturdy that I wonder whether I need inserts at all. I'll probably just keep the lenses in their pouches and they should be fine;
- two mesh pockets on the outside, still wondering what i will keep there;
- one inside pocket, but rather small if you want to put your phone, mobile, keys, and other bits and pieces into it;
- the zip is a solid work-out for your fingers and arms :)

Of course, I will continue to inform our community about my love affair with the Ortlieb and how it behaves in the field.

Attached you can see how I placed a D4 with 24-70 attached, a 70-200, 17-35, and 10.5 fish-eye, and I can easily place three times as much into it.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 12:16:08 »
I have more or less the same bag in gray for visiting moist places... Mine came with an camera insert many years ago. Enjoy!
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 13:32:35 »
A small edit on the inside pocket, there are three layers in one pocket, the zip, the Velcro and in between the pocket and bag. Thus, spacious enough for bits and pieces!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 16:08:28 »
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Kivdul-Lund

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2015, 21:54:42 »
For those interested in esthetics, I think the Manfrotto line of camera bags looks really nice. I was hesitating between of their models and a lowepro 350 AW and finally went for the latter -interesting reviews on Amazon helped me in making that choice, read the Manfrotto ones I was considering seemed to be built at a lower standard than the LP.

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2015, 20:09:00 »
I am in so far fruitless search for well build and comfortable backpack where I could place 1 body and 2-3 lenses (up 70-200/2.8), 1 flash,  spare batteries, charger, P&S and some other small items.  It would serve as a day pack as well so it has to have space for a windbreaker, water, some food  and other few items.  It has to be cabin approved for flying.  It should not cost arm and a leg. I have Tamrac Expedition 5 for that purpose but it started to fell apart.  Any ideas?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2015, 20:07:58 »
Backpacks are an awful way to carry photo equipment where long walks are required, except for all the other ways... which are worse. As with camera bags, there is no perfect solution.
I haven't seen all the photo backpacks available, just the ones that the local shops display:  Tamrac, LowePro,Think Tank, etc.
None of the ones I've seen in the store have anything approaching a proper internal-frame suspension system---an absolute requirement for carrying heavyish loads over any appreciable distance.
In 2013, I bought a Photobackpacker P3 pack with the full size, customizable padded insert.
I used it on one trip and then decided I had gotten too large a model.  It does properly suspend the load and transfer the load to the hip belt.
http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php
If I had to do it again, I'd maybe get a smaller pack, and/or a smaller insert for the equipment.
The rational alternative is to get a really good non photo-oriented, internal frame day pack, and pack your equipment as needed.
Most of the time I use an ordinary Kelty Redwing 2650---a barely-acceptably-suspended, medium-sized day pack---and just dump the lenses in using individual LowePro lens cases or thin nylon stuff sacks. 
In most of the places I hike with a camera, dust is a major concern, so having all the lenses exposed to the hostile sand/dust environment every time I open a pack that is employing the open, customizable padded partition-style inserts is not desirable.
Usually, I end up keeping the lenses in individual cases, or in nylon stuff sacks.  The individual cases are a time-consuming hassle when changing lenses, but they do protect from shock as well as dust.
The stuff sacks provide no padding or shock resistance, but do keep the items clean and from grinding metal chips out of each other.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2015, 20:21:57 »
"Backpacks are an awful way to carry photo equipment where long walks are required, except for all the other ways... which are worse."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Keith you are a genious!!!

Alex Cejka

• NG Member
  • South Ontario, Canada
    • Alex Cejka Photography
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2015, 10:58:48 »
"Backpacks are an awful way to carry photo equipment where long walks are required, except for all the other ways... which are worse."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Keith you are a genious!!!

+1

I prefer backpacks over shoulder bags when traveling or trekking. So far it looks like Think Tank is the closest from what I can pay for. 

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2015, 13:18:06 »
Jakov goes undercover for some unnoticed streetshooting.

My lime, latex, sexy, waterproof Ortlieb arrived!!!

First impressions:

- sexy;
- loads of space;
- flat bottom, good for inserts, stands straight;
- the material is so sturdy that I wonder whether I need inserts at all. I'll probably just keep the lenses in their pouches and they should be fine;
- two mesh pockets on the outside, still wondering what i will keep there;
- one inside pocket, but rather small if you want to put your phone, mobile, keys, and other bits and pieces into it;
- the zip is a solid work-out for your fingers and arms :)

Of course, I will continue to inform our community about my love affair with the Ortlieb and how it behaves in the field.

Attached you can see how I placed a D4 with 24-70 attached, a 70-200, 17-35, and 10.5 fish-eye, and I can easily place three times as much into it.
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2015, 13:42:37 »
Jakov goes undercover for some unnoticed streetshooting.

Jakov has a tendency of being completely undercover and unnoticed ;)
Then again, her rarely street-shoot :)

retief

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • The Focused Eye
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2015, 14:37:43 »
Pedro, what type of cart are you tailoring?   I really want wheels which can easily go through soft sand.  I used to be able to drive my jeep through the sand to get close to the shore birds with the 500vr/tripod , still can in a couple of places , but the authorities have fenced off the best location so a walk of  half a mile.  Just cannot carry the gear that far.  It is tourist season when I shoot Kite Surfers so I can get one of the Waiters from one of the hotels to hump the heavy gear for me  :)

I tried a golf bag trolley and a 3 wheeled baby stroller but the wheels are too small and thin  .  I found an all terrain, 3 wheeled baby buggy that looks good but $800!!!
Cheers
Tom

Edit:  I did try to have some thing fabricated using motor scooter wheels but no one working with light weight metal tubing so weight became a big factor.

I built my own from an all terrain jogging stroller, look for a used one, I found mine for just over $100 at our local Costco.  This Link will show you a couple of pictures.  Just took off all the "baby bits", added a removable shelf and bingo.  Works great across sand, up and down hills, over gravel and grass.  I like this much better than Eckla, as I find the "push" to be easier to manner than the "pull".  Having a brake as well is nice when you stop on a surface that is not level.  And the front wheel for steering makes it much easier to maneuver.  The wheels pop off, frame folds up and the shelf detaches making it very easy to store as well.
Bill Dewey
"The Older I Get, the Better I Was........"
- aspiring photographer and didgeridooist extraordinaire -