Author Topic: camera bag  (Read 26909 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: camera bag
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 16:03:11 »
I recognize this problem, and even more urgent if the perfect solution, a car trunk, is not available ;)

I use several bags, especially shoulderbags, as the backbags are only for 'transportation' and quit unworkable' although I have Lowepro slingshot' which can serve fine as it takes a lot of stuff, and the zipper can be opened with one hand while slinging the bag to the hips.  ;)

But for shoulderbags: (Bought them cheap for a few euro's at second hand stores, during the past 5 years)

1)  Delsey 'gopix'  -  just zip open, and use. There is room for a body with medium size lens and extra lens.
2)  a Dörr Adventure - with a very minor flap (not really in use) but with a zipper.  That one takes two bodies D700 - average sized lenses, and lots of room for other stuff. Works great in exchanging rapidly to different body/lens
3)  a leather Vanguard, a former film-bag. Takes a body with a long lens (70-200, 200mm, 300mm)  - opens with two buttons only.
4)  the same applies to a Samsonite, take two buttons to open up.
5-6-7) different shoulder bags to carry just one body with different sized lenses.

Number 1, 2 and 5 are used most frequent.

All of them can be combined too of course.  Photo's can be made to visualize the bags and different situations ;)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 16:06:10 »
Dear All,
I have many camera bags.
But somehow, I am not really happy with any of them.
Thanks, Jakov

Thus, with this statement, you have encapsulated the entire universe of camera bag selection, use, and ownership.
I would be tempted to obtain a copy of the gym bag, and seek professional assistance designing and adding padding, pockets and compartments.

Pluton, where does one seek professional assistance when it comes to adding padding?

Out here in the colonies, one would enlist a shoe repair shop for simple sewing modifications for ugly camera bags. (You wouldn't want to modify a good looking camera bag ... you may chip your fingernail polish.)   ;)
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 19:49:12 »
Gary, I live in the same [former]colony, and my first thought also was shoe repair places: are the 'go to' for zippers, straps, velcro, and may, depending on the individual place, be helpful with creating dividers and pockets.
Beyond that, there are---I'm convinced--- craftspeople that specialize in customizing bags and luggage, but they are hard to find.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 19:53:54 »
Gary, I live in the same [former]colony, and my first thought also was shoe repair places: are the 'go to' for zippers, straps, velcro, and may, depending on the individual place, be helpful with creating dividers and pockets.
Beyond that, there are---I'm convinced--- craftspeople that specialize in customizing bags and luggage, but they are hard to find.

I think back in the old country they're called cobblers.  ;)
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 23:00:00 »
2-handled camera bag: Shootsac Tote & Shoot Camera Bag
The bag fits up under your arm nicely like a gym bag.
It also has a clip on shoulder strap available.
The bag weighs itself 3.5 pounds.
The fabric is water-repellant.

Recently I was able to put all of the following
inside this bag due to its unusual construction.

Df + 24-70/2.8 AFS in side pocket with back down, lens up.
D810 + 70-200/4 AFS also in side pocket with back down, lens up.
and inside the bag was a matrix of the following
16-25/4G AFS
105/2.8D AF Micro
65/4.5 Macro
60/2.8G AFS Micro
28/1.8G AFS
16/3.5 Fish
Df battery charger
D810 battery charger
3 extra batteries
and --
I had room for two more lenses in unused outer drawstring pockets.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 23:20:53 »
I reckon this would easily do double duty as a lady's purse as well ?

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 23:22:44 »
I was just about to ask, are there any male models?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

stenrasmussen

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 23:36:26 »
Buy some padding inserts for your Ortlieb. Oh man, that lime green colour is cool. One must wear shades at all times to match.

I think a car is the perfect camera bag, by the way.

Just remember my shot of Bjørn and his "bag" (this is his previous one btw):

stenrasmussen

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 23:39:11 »
2-handled camera bag: Shootsac Tote & Shoot Camera Bag
The bag fits up under your arm nicely like a gym bag.
It also has a clip on shoulder strap available.
The bag weighs itself 3.5 pounds.
The fabric is water-repellant.

Recently I was able to put all of the following
inside this bag due to its unusual construction.

Df + 24-70/2.8 AFS in side pocket with back down, lens up.
D810 + 70-200/4 AFS also in side pocket with back down, lens up.
and inside the bag was a matrix of the following
16-25/4G AFS
105/2.8D AF Micro
65/4.5 Macro
60/2.8G AFS Micro
28/1.8G AFS
16/3.5 Fish
Df battery charger
D810 battery charger
3 extra batteries
and --
I had room for two more lenses in unused outer drawstring pockets.

In other words Andrea...this one is just like any woman's handbag  ;D ;D ;D

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 14:24:59 »
Dear All,
I have many camera bags.
Thanks, Jakov

Thus, with this statement, you have encapsulated the entire universe of camera bag selection, use, and ownership.
I would be tempted to obtain a copy of the gym bag, and seek professional assistance designing and adding padding, pockets and compartments.

Pluton, where does one seek professional assistance when it comes to adding padding?

Out here in the colonies, one would enlist a shoe repair shop for simple sewing modifications for ugly camera bags. (You wouldn't want to modify a good looking camera bag ... you may chip your fingernail polish.)   ;)

Hehe

Or you should have listened when your mother asked you to learn how to use needle and thread… ;)
I leaned to use those tools as well as asewingmachine and Dremel, and have always sewn or modified my own equipment that being for hiking, climbing or photography – It’s very handy to be able to quickly make modifications that suits the purpose better yourself. Just last week before going to Bergen I did some modifications to the insert in my Billingham Hadley Pro. My preferred bag btw. A special light blue with orange lining and olive insert… Perfect size weight for my Leica M kit.

I have a lot of other LowePro bags for Nikon outfits ;-) Strong and durable and modified…
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 15:11:13 »
Dear All,
I have many camera bags.
Thanks, Jakov

Hehe

Or you should have listened when your mother asked you to learn how to use needle and thread… ;)
I leaned to use those tools as well as asewingmachine and Dremel, and have always sewn or modified my own equipment that being for hiking, climbing or photography – It’s very handy to be able to quickly make modifications that suits the purpose better yourself. Just last week before going to Bergen I did some modifications to the insert in my Billingham Hadley Pro. My preferred bag btw. A special light blue with orange lining and olive insert… Perfect size weight for my Leica M kit.

I have a lot of other LowePro bags for Nikon outfits ;-) Strong and durable and modified…

Erik, my mother taught me how to knit, at least she tried until my father found out what she was up to :D

I solemnly declare that I will make my own padded insert, and I will show you my masterpiece when the time comes!

By the way, in order to be consistent, I completely forgot to tell you and Jan Anne something regarding your Billinghams:

"They are equally beautiful as Bjørn's and Gary's Domke bags!"

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 06:51:24 »
Ah, the perfect bag.... doesn't exist!
Too bad the Billinghams are so ugly, I would have sold you a Billingham 445 (Sage and Tan) cheap  :).  Just cut the flap off  ;) .   I bought it for a specific project for the D3S and D700.  Gets too heavy when fully loaded.  My wife loves it as an overnight bag for Mumbai but not used as a camera bag.

Some bags seem to almost meet your requirements . That Ortlieb in Lime Green certainly does not 'scream' cameras .    Lowepro Dryzone, but looks a pain to get into. Gura gear sells just the insert for their Chobe travel bag.  If you have a good LowePro dealer have a look at their bags, not to buy, but to see if they have an insert that would fit your needs.  Temba also sell inserts, for their Messenger and Messenger /Laptops, separately.

I bought the insert from a LowePro bag to fit a no name , wheeled carry on which I was  using for a 3 month trip to US and Mexico.  They did not normally sell the insert separately but Uri, at Grays, called LowePro and asked if they could get him a replacement inset, answer yes so I was good to go  :) .

In a family that has probably 20 or more bags , I have a huge assortment of dividers, inserts and pads for customizing.  Making your own inserts works for me  :)

by the by,  the Billingham Hadley Pro is my most used and my wife uses the Hadley Small when not using one of her Epiphanie fashion bags ;)  .  I am a huge fan of Vests w/wo small bag. My jeep is my bag 90% of the time so I'm with the F. Bear  :)
Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 07:04:49 »
8) no camera bag is THE bag...
I have other issues, as I much like to photograph, I hate to carry the gear... and I really not like (hate?) the small cameras and so on... so a dilema here...
So I just use bags to transfer gear from home/studio to car, and then from car to the shoot...
Must have on my bags:
  • butterfly openings
  • light, should I say light?, prefer the gura ones, that are made from sailing tissue
  • whenever possible wheels, I have tailored a small cart to gura bags...
  • water resistant
Pedro, what type of cart are you tailoring?   I really want wheels which can easily go through soft sand.  I used to be able to drive my jeep through the sand to get close to the shore birds with the 500vr/tripod , still can in a couple of places , but the authorities have fenced off the best location so a walk of  half a mile.  Just cannot carry the gear that far.  It is tourist season when I shoot Kite Surfers so I can get one of the Waiters from one of the hotels to hump the heavy gear for me  :)

I tried a golf bag trolley and a 3 wheeled baby stroller but the wheels are too small and thin  .  I found an all terrain, 3 wheeled baby buggy that looks good but $800!!!
Cheers
Tom

Edit:  I did try to have some thing fabricated using motor scooter wheels but no one working with light weight metal tubing so weight became a big factor.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 07:38:52 »
I tried a golf bag trolley and a 3 wheeled baby stroller but the wheels are too small and thin.  I found an all terrain, 3 wheeled baby buggy that looks good but $800!!!
German nature shooters often use Eckla trolleys:
http://www.eckla.de/en/trolleys
http://www.eckla.de/en/eckla-multitrolly-2.html
http://www.eckla.de/en/eckla-beach-rolly-models.html

The Multi is about 200€, the beach models are even cheaper.

cheers
afx

pw-pix

• NG Member
  • Aussie photographer
    • My Flickr stream
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 07:44:18 »
Gura Gear and Thinktank seem to be making useful bags that aren't weighed down with a ton of padding and heavy materials.
Peter Williams