Author Topic: camera bag  (Read 26915 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: camera bag
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:02:43 »
I've been using Domke for decades.

My left arm is resting on top of an original F-2 ... a true original, one that was sewn together in Jim's garage.

I find the F-2 to be very fast getting in and out of, very comfy to wear all day long (the soft bag conforms to your body), they hold a ton of stuff and they are well made.

When I can get by with less stuff I use the Domke 3-X. The insert from the F-2 fits perfectly in the 3-X, holding four lenses (or three lens and a wrap of Fig Newtons ... or ... two lenses w/ a wrap of Fig Newtons and a travel cup of coffee, black no cream or sugar).

If I want even less space, I have a Tamrac Sling bag, which give me a narrower frontal profile (if that is possible).   
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:20:17 »
Been using Domke bags for many years. When they wear down too far, for example, holes develop big enough to allow a 45P drop through, I chuck it away and start on a new.

Besides being able to hold a lot of gear, they double as knee protector, bean bag, or pillow if I need a quick nap in the field.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:21:19 »
8) no camera bag is THE bag...
I have other issues, as I much like to photograph, I hate to carry the gear... and I really not like (hate?) the small cameras and so on... so a dilema here...
So I just use bags to transfer gear from home/studio to car, and then from car to the shoot...
Must have on my bags:
  • butterfly openings
  • light, should I say light?, prefer the gura ones, that are made from sailing tissue
  • whenever possible wheels, I have tailored a small cart to gura bags...
  • water resistant

Pedro, I couldn't agree with you more.
I wheel my gear whenever possible.
But for a day excursion (away from my car) and into the fields I need to find something practical, multi-purposeful and funky :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 01:37:24 »
Gary and Bjørn, you know that I am very fond of you, and I admire your photography, but I am sorry to say: those Domke bags are extremely ugly, and I would not let a single donkey see me carrying one of those :D

Bjørn, when you nestle your knee gently on to a Domke, what do you do with the gear that's inside?

Don't get me wrong, I am certain that Domke bags are sturdy, comfortable and well designed. Not the cheapest bag around either... Just not my cup of black coffee, no cream or sugar :)

I have ordered the lemon-green Ortlieb in the meantime.
Will post my findings when it arrives... and that doesn't mean that I have seized the search for an ideal photo bag!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 03:54:58 »
I recently got a Thinktank Speedfreak shoulder/beltpack. It is more comfortable to wear than a shoulder bag, however I am spoilt with respect to comfort and easy access to equipment by the Thinktank modular components, which is my preference for longer excursions/hiking with a regular backpack. The disadvantage of the modular approach is that is a lot more work to get the components on and off (I prefer to use shoulder straps in addition to the belt attachment); thus my purchase of the Speedfreak for shorter excursions. It is not as easy to rotate front - back as I hoped, but it depends on of how much the belt is tightened. The internals should have come with more Velcro for attaching dividers, it is geared towards dividing the internals into 3 main compartments, so it is due for some modifications to add an extra divider between smaller AIS primes on on side. While all the ThinkTank components come with rain covers, I have never used them. The outer fabric is lined with an internal membrane that is pretty water proof, so there is just a little bit seeping in thought the seams.

I chose the the Speedfreak as a compromise in size; I am just able to stuff it into one of my Ortlieb rear bike panniers, so that I can have a good deal of equipment easily accessible on shorter trips with my bicycle. Which brings up the question how much equipment are you usually carrying in your bag -lenses/ one or two bodies? For most easy access the Speedfreak will fit one body, 300mm +TC on one side, One AIS prime + an adapter under the middle compartment, 12-24mm on the body, and 3 smaller/middle sized  lenses  on the right side. It is possible to stuff it with a few more lenses and my AW1 for travel/transport, but then access becomes difficult for the parts at the bottom. The front compartment has room for some filters/spare batteries and a blower. My brother has the bigger Speedracer, where he is able to fit a second K5II body attached to his 300mm lens, but for lighter excursions and travel he seems to prefer the Thinktank Changeup belt pack.
Øivind Tøien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:46 »
Dear All,
I have many camera bags.
But somehow, I am not really happy with any of them.
Thanks, Jakov

Thus, with this statement, you have encapsulated the entire universe of camera bag selection, use, and ownership.
I would be tempted to obtain a copy of the gym bag, and seek professional assistance designing and adding padding, pockets and compartments.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 09:22:51 »
My apologies to Bjørn and Gary for inexcusably pronouncing their Domke bags extremely ugly.
I am sorry!
I should show more respect for you guys!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:31:56 »
Jakov, I'll remind you of that later.

"Bjørn, when you nestle your knee gently on to a Domke, what do you do with the gear that's inside?"

Use the flap if the bag is heavily loaded - usually there is softer stuff stored inside the flap pouch.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:41 »
Dear Øivind,

The Thinktank Speedfreak looks really comfortable and handy.
I would definitely consider buying such a bag. I am certain the belt alleviates the weight off the shoulders and you can go on for hours without feeling burdened.

However.

Why is it that no camera bag manufacturer ever designed a bag that has two handles for carrying it. All handbags that I know of have two handles. Why is it different for a camera bag?
Most of the time it's a small and uncomfortable noose that tilts the bags side ways, or has a tendency to rip the top off. Those same handles can be used as shoulder straps.

Also, why is it that they invent camera bag rain covers?
The bag is a protection for your gear, yet it cannot protect itself from rain!?
How protective is it if you need or they recommend to cover it whenever it rains?
Good luck accessing your gear then. Or is there an overall designer assumption that nobody shoots in the rain?
It started raining, get your rain cover out and protect the protection of your gear. Rain can be nasty. Forget about accessing your gear again until you reach a dry location. Are you crazy, surely you are not going to risk getting your camera wet...

:D

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 09:48:08 »
Dear All,
I have many camera bags.
But somehow, I am not really happy with any of them.
Thanks, Jakov

Thus, with this statement, you have encapsulated the entire universe of camera bag selection, use, and ownership.
I would be tempted to obtain a copy of the gym bag, and seek professional assistance designing and adding padding, pockets and compartments.

Pluton, where does one seek professional assistance when it comes to adding padding?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 11:42:10 »
Dear Øivind,
Also, why is it that they invent camera bag rain covers?
The bag is a protection for your gear, yet it cannot protect itself from rain!?
How protective is it if you need or they recommend to cover it whenever it rains?
Good luck accessing your gear then. Or is there an overall designer assumption that nobody shoots in the rain?
It started raining, get your rain cover out and protect the protection of your gear. Rain can be nasty. Forget about accessing your gear again until you reach a dry location. Are you crazy, surely you are not going to risk getting your camera wet...

:D

Jakov, I am absolutely with you with respect to the rain covers. I  leave them at home, they do not seem necessary. In a few of the lens cases it is stored at the bottom and works as padding, so I leave some of those in (The lens cases have drawstring closure, which do not really close completely so it could come handy there in an emergency). The only situation I could think of if is an emergency where one were surprised by absolutely torrential rain, but then I think one would look for other ways to protect oneself and equipment. (Exterior would probably be maximally soaked by the time one managed to get all those rain covers on.... .) Of course in the ideal world everything would be completely water proof like the Ortlieb bags (i.e. canoe/kayak proof), but then one has to deal with tight waterproof zippers or fold-over closures. It is all about accessibility etc.

I do like the central placement of the handle on the lid my ThinkTank holsters; however I think a second handle on the bigger belt packs would get in the way. For a central handle on the lid of the belt packs one would have to loose the central zipper (which is semi-waterproof). There is some risk as to what would happen if one were to quickly grab the bag by the handle while the lid is open. (Some of the same risk is present with the current position of the handle at the front as you pointed out.)

I side with others that the Ortlieb Travel Zip looks too wide at the bottom to be comfortable to wear as a shoulder bag filled with heavy photo equipment. I think the closer to the body stuff can be worn the more comfortable. It also looks a lot bigger than any of the belt packs. For general storage on a kayak /canoe trip it would be great.
Øivind Tøien

Almass

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 13:31:35 »
The rain cover is not only for the rain....or the bag.

I never ever used it as a rain cover as usually a supermarket plastic bag does the same effect.....and use the rain cover on my head  :D

However. for wind and blowing sand. you definitely want to protect your bag as much as your gear as the damned thing gets into all the nooks and crannies of the bag and play havoc with the zippers.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 14:58:15 »

I side with others that the Ortlieb Travel Zip looks too wide at the bottom to be comfortable to wear as a shoulder bag filled with heavy photo equipment. I think the closer to the body stuff can be worn the more comfortable. It also looks a lot bigger than any of the belt packs. For general storage on a kayak /canoe trip it would be great.

This is why I am looking for a bag with two handles that can be used to carry the heavy load on your shoulder.
Then the bag is very close to the body and the momentum doesn't exist. At least that is how I have been carrying my gym bag ever since I was a teenager :)
I agree it could be uncomfortable to use the shoulder strap alone for longer periods of time.
The possibility to carry the bag in different ways (instead of only one way) is an advantage I am looking for.
It won't hurt if it becomes a multi-purpose bag too :)

Perhaps the Ortlieb is sturdy enough and it won't need additional padding? If the lenses are in their pouches, the camera body is mostly in my hands anyway...

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 15:04:33 »
The rain cover is not only for the rain....or the bag.

I never ever used it as a rain cover as usually a supermarket plastic bag does the same effect.....and use the rain cover on my head  :D

However. for wind and blowing sand. you definitely want to protect your bag as much as your gear as the damned thing gets into all the nooks and crannies of the bag and play havoc with the zippers.

Almass, I agree, cover your head first and then take care of the rest.
Whilst the rain cover can be used for additional protection (like a supermarket plastic bag), I would like designers to invent a bag that doesn't need extra help.
I would like to see a bag that can survive on its own. Today's camera bags are not cheap products, and the market is huge. The technology must be there to make one :)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 16:00:54 »
My apologies to Bjørn and Gary for inexcusably pronouncing their Domke bags extremely ugly.
I am sorry!
I should show more respect for you guys!

LOL!  Oh Please Jakov ... I cannot speak for Bjørn, but I am not insulted by your remark of calling my camera bag ugly.  It is a camera bag, it looks like a camera bag, it functions like a camera bag. If I was concerned about looks, I'd hire a model or aspiring actress to carry my gear (there are plenty of them out here).  8)

I have also used my Domke as a bean bag (in lieu of a tripod), a front bumper ramming my way through crowds, a shield against those pesky stray pieces of shrapnel and a pillow (you sorta punch the lenses around until you get the support where you need it). Hell, I've even slept with my Domke bag (others have claimed to have slept with my Domke bag, but I don't believe them).

Gary

PS- Bjørn and I both think you're ugly.  :P
G
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.