Author Topic: image display issues within threads  (Read 2844 times)

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
image display issues within threads
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:54:57 »
Windows 7, using FF(v38.05):

Some threads with images in them display strangely.
So far this seems to be an issue with FF.
When I open a thread with an image, upon opening the thread the image looks fine. I can see it in it's entirety as the poster intended.
But, as I move my mouse cursor across the page, if the mouse cursor moves over the image, the image suddenly appears to zoom in, and crop itself.
For me this is most glaring in Olivier's thread of A portrait of K http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?action=post;board=12.0

If I don't move the cursor over this image, I see it as Olivier intends ti to be.
if I move the mouse cursor over the image, it's zoomed in and cropped showing only half of the lady's face(cropping out the RHS of the image .. the LHS of her face).

Not all images do this, and I suspect there may be some relevance to the size of the original image being linked too, or possibly the location of the image.

If I close the thread(I use tabs) and reopen it again, the process repeats.

It may have something to do with some plugin/addon that I've installed for FF. I'll do some testing later.

I never use IE, but having just done so out of curiosity it doesn't happen as it does in FF.

Just wondering if anyone else sees this issue.
The solution is very simple .. just don't hover the mouse cursor over an image, but this is not always a simple matter to adhere too.

I'll post back if I find any problematic software is the cause.
Arthur

arthurking83

• NG Member
Re: image display issues within threads
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:02:27 »
OOps! I'm an idiot!
Should have checked the addon first before posting.

Anyhow the problematic addon was called Exify, I had v 1.2.1 installed.
It's now gone and all is good again.

Stupid me should have known this was the issue.
What this addon does is to display exif(where available) when you hovered the cursor over an image .. no need to click anything.
Strangely tho, in Olivier's thread, the exif never displayed as per the point of this addon software .. it simply changed the way the image was displayed.

Anyhow, addon is gone .. and all is good again  :)
Arthur

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:07:00 »
I refrained from installing any EXIF viewer modification, although SMF offers several. No real understanding is gained by spending time studying EXIF data rather than the image itself.

Glad your issue was self-sorting :D

arthurking83

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 10:06:47 »
Thanks Bjørn,
Like I said .. I should have checked my end before posting, but the thought that some addon could have caused this issue only came to mind after I posted .. hence my self deprecating(but accurate) description.

...... No real understanding is gained by spending time studying EXIF data rather than the image itself.

While I totally agree with the sentiment .. that there really is nothing to be gained from understanding an image via exif info .. and even further to that .. (sometimes)stated information that such and such a camera/lens/lighting/etc was employed in the making of the image.
That's not why I had this plug in installed.
My only purpose for having access to exif, is for those times when people new to photography have some specific issue, which, if camera setting related can assesed via exif data, if it's still intact.
Arthur