Author Topic: Fuji "attacking" again  (Read 15741 times)

stenrasmussen

Re: Fuji "attacking" again
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 21:08:21 »
Armando, if you handle both models you will see and feel another reason for 2 over 20!

In this case we can safely say less is more 😎

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 21:35:29 »
One good thing about Fuji is that they skipped the full-frame format and went directly into the medium format.  Alas, Pentax went into the full-frame after it opened the new market with 645D/Z...bad move!

Here is a report of the release event held in Nijo-jo castle in Kyoto:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1039920.html

Sorry, all texts are in Japanese, but some images should be interesting.  Notice the LF camera adapter.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 22:31:02 »
Pentax has made a lot of lenses for 35mm full frame, so it understandable that they would want to provide support for them in the form of a 35mm full frame camera.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 22:47:41 »
That's for sure, but most of the full-frame lenses had been developed during the film days which should need to be redesigned.  I'm not sure if Pentax would have enough "stamina" to manage three different interchangeable lens formats.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 23:08:20 »
Well, a lot of discussion on this very site is about use of older lenses which give their own advantages compared to modern lenses. Pentax has kept its mount for a long time and there is a great deal of bargains available in terms of older lenses. Of course many people prefer newer lenses, which Pentax is making but perhaps not at a fast enough pace. I guess the problem is that once you've been long enough absent from a market, people move elsewhere. But I do think Pentax has some advantages.

Their medium format has the same problem that most lenses are not modern and were designed for 645 full frame, not the sensor size that they're using in their digital MF cameras. However, if they want to revitalize interest in their brand, making a few good cameras is a good start. They can make new lenses over time. I certainly hope that they do.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 23:41:56 »
Pentax mount does allow using older lenses even including M42 mount ones via a simple adapter, which can be a big plus.  That said, the success of the full-frame Pentax would depend on the demographic of such enthusiasts.  Considering that Pentax started nearly ten years later than Canon or Nikon.  I would hope them good luck that the situation for the full-frame DSLR would remain the same.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 18:40:50 »
I've caved and am officially handing in my Nikon stuff. In return I will end up with two Fuji bodies, 5 lenses and a much smaller bag 😊

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 18:46:20 »
I've caved and am officially handing in my Nikon stuff. In return I will end up with two Fuji bodies, 5 lenses and a much smaller bag 😊

Sten, how many times before have you ping-pong'ed between Nikon and Fuji? ;)
Simone Tomasi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 18:59:04 »
As long as Sten is content and happy, it doesn't matter which camp he at present is settled into.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 19:12:42 »
As long as Sten is content and happy, it doesn't matter which camp he at present is settled into.

No polemic intended, more like lighthearted fun.
Simone Tomasi

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 19:16:39 »
Of course. We both known him in person, thus more like good-natured banter.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 19:58:09 »
Sten, how many times before have you ping-pong'ed between Nikon and Fuji? ;)

Haven't really ping-ponged...always kept some Nikons and have owned Fuji cameras over the last 4 years. This time however I am moving to Fuji. If the Df gets a follower I am more than willing to try it out. What does remain a fact is that I will/want the lighter alternative. Besides, I enjoy life the way it suits me at any given time.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 23:54:36 »
The Fuji announcement is a strong statement of their intent to be a major player in the digital camera market.

The GFX is priced very aggressively and shows that they intend to make a big impact in the studio market.  The X100F shows that they have not forgotten the rangefinder enthusiasts.  The X-T20 reaffirms their commitment to the prosumer market, again with an aggressively priced camera.

Announcing all three at the same time is not a coincidence.  Fuji is saying that they are here to stay and buying into a Fuji system will not risk being abandoned in the near future.
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 00:04:50 »
Quote from: Fuji USA
Availability and Pricing

The new FUJIFILM GFX 50S Medium Format Camera Body will be available Late February, 2017 in the U.S. and Canada for USD $6,499.95 and CAD $8,499.99.

Also available in February, 2017 will be the first three FUJINON GF lenses. GF63mmF2.8 R WR for USD $1,499.95 and CAD $1,899.99, GF32-64mmF4 R LM WR for USD $2,299.95 and CAD $2,999.99, and GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro for USD $2,699.95 and CAD $3,499.99

For the Price of a D5 I can get a Medium Format Fuji? C'mon, girls & boys. This sounds is a no brainer to me!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 09:13:20 »
Looking forward to your findings again this time Sten! Always a new angle on the technology ;)
Erik Lund