Author Topic: 70-200mm AFS f/2.8 E FL ED VR  (Read 27350 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: 70-200mm AFS f/2.8 E FL ED VR
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2016, 17:08:10 »
Ok, you will be busy! ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2016, 17:09:55 »
Unfortunately, yes. ... Girl friend visits are postponed. I need to focus (sic).

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2016, 17:59:52 »
Unfortunately, yes. ... Girl friend visits are postponed. I need to focus (sic).

At least you have your priorities sorted out
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2016, 23:31:12 »
Nikon had a presentation at my preferred photo vendor yesterday. Got the opportunity for a first trial and a few quick shots of the new 70-200 with FL. Got a good impression ergonomics-wise- and I am ok with the zoom ring being in front of the focus-ring
Wolfgang Rehm

chambeshi

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2016, 17:01:34 »
Justifies emerging consensus on the new 70-200 Nikkor - albeit this recent test is restricted to MTF scores at the main focal lengths BUT using 10 copies of each model in pairwise comparisons

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/11/nikon-70-200mm-f2-8e-fl-ed-af-s-vr-mtf-tests/

and then there's the more sensationalized follow up videos 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0I7kIxDmGA

http://froknowsphoto.com/nikon-70200e-vs-g/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2016, 17:47:45 »
In the last link, the reviewer evidently was so happy with the performance of the new 70-200 that he forgot all about the grudges initially expressed of the swap focus/zoom rings. My guess is that most users will do the same when they actually start using the lens instead of reading, writing, or moaning about it.

It is a real pity this is not a lens I need for my own shooting ... I don't even have any previous model of 70-200 or 80-200/2.8 Nikkor, with the exception for the very first model, the manual AIS 80-200/2.8 ED a real beast weighing nearly 2 kg and using 95 mm filter size :D

chambeshi

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2016, 18:27:58 »
In the last link, the reviewer evidently was so happy with the performance of the new 70-200 that he forgot all about the grudges initially expressed of the swap focus/zoom rings. My guess is that most users will do the same when they actually start using the lens instead of reading, writing, or moaning about it.

It is a real pity this is not a lens I need for my own shooting ... I don't even have any previous model of 70-200 or 80-200/2.8 Nikkor, with the exception for the very first model, the manual AIS 80-200/2.8 ED a real beast weighing nearly 2 kg and using 95 mm filter size :D

Yes I agree on the focus-zoom switch as hyperbole by these who've yet to test drive this new lens. While across from the Cape, and in London last week, I have been fortunate to handle 2 models of this new lens on my D500. Well, it's definitely one i am now budgeting for mid next year (and facing up to pending bankruptcy!) Nikonitis is one crippling affliction that I have come to rank on a par with the 4+ bouts of acute malaria I have endured :-) :-)

Flying birds....wildlife portraits etc are the projected uses in Afrotropical climes

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2016, 18:34:37 »
I'd consider the F4.0 new incarnation of this lens, when(IF!) it will hit the shelves. I'll welcome the distinguishable difference in size and weight to already existed models, including 80-400, when I do not need the long end.  Or 105-135/2 stabilized one, from any manufacturer.   LZ

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2016, 20:43:19 »
I'd consider the F4.0 new incarnation of this lens, when(IF!) it will hit the shelves. I'll welcome the distinguishable difference in size and weight to already existed models, including 80-400, when I do not need the long end.  Or 105-135/2 stabilized one, from any manufacturer.   LZ

I doubt there will be a FL version of the 4/70-200.
BTW i rarely use 80-200 because i consider a  range to 200  mostly  as to short for me
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2016, 15:13:02 »
I think the 70-200/4 is close to perfect as it is; it is sharp wide open, has very pleasing rendition, maintains its focal length quite well upon close focus, and focuses down to 1:4 magnification. It is quite well built (for a lens of this class), the focusing and zooming rings operate smoothly. Its VR implementation gives a steady image and is effective.

If I can criticize the 70-200/4 a bit, in my experience the image softens a bit upon close focus. Also I noticed the VR malfunctioned in cold winter weather when I was doing some hand held landscape shots; I realized I needed to switch to a tripod. Perhaps the VR mechanism froze inside.

It is a recent lens and of the three f/4 zooms (16-35, 24-120, and 70-200) it is easily the best in image quality. Its relatilvely small size makes it much less consipicuous than the f/2.8 variants. Eventually, of course, most lenses may be updated, but this lens cannot really afford a significant price hike (FL) if it is to remain a high quality relatively affordable telephoto for the widest possible audience. I think improving the 24-120/4 and 16-35/4 to a similar image quality standard should more more important than updating the 70-200/4. Perhaps a 24-70/4 is something that Nikon could consider.

The 70-200/2.8 E seems to bring the more steady VR of the f/4 version into the f/2.8 world. I have tested the f/2.8 E now a bit and find the VR performance to be very good. The autofocus is almost instantaneous even in dim light however, sometimes the AF won't even start if there isn't sufficient contrast apparently. I was surprised that it wouldn't focus on my laptop screen where there was black text on white background. Only by moving the focus sensor on the edge of the laptop display did it initiate autofocus. This was with a D810. Anyway, it is understandable that sometimes AF won't work.Mostly the AF seems to work perfectly in indoor environments and I didn't notice any immediate need to apply fine tuning on either of my cameras.

I find the custom buttons on the lens to be very easy to use on this lens, with some of my fingers around the zoom ring, I could easily use my thumb to activate the lens button and switch to 21-point area AF (I normally keep the camera on single point focus but for some subjects I would like easy access to an area around the selected points). I really like it that I can use my left hand to perform some functions instead of having to find the buttons on the right hand side (on the D5, there is a column of buttons on the front side, Pv, Fn1, Fn2, but I don't find locating the right button so easy especially when swiching between horizontal and vertical orientations). So I press the lens button to switch area mode temporarily and AF-ON with my thumb to activate AF. I have  had these lens buttons on the 200/2 but there were not so many useful functions available to program them to carry out with older cameras, and with just one lens with the buttons, I didn't develop the routine of using them. The 70-200/2.8E's lens buttons probably get enough use that I will start to intuitively reach for them when shooting sports etc. I've usually settled on single point AF most of the time because switching between area modes is too slow. I programmed my Fn1 and Fn2 buttons to reset the focus point to a "default" position which is in the top center part of the frame (for a people photographer this is where the face is most commonly located) and depends on the orientation. I quite find this feature (and the orientation sensitivity) to speed up shooting. If I want to go back to center point I can get that by pressing on one of the multi-selector buttons with my thumb.

Unfortunately weather is very gloomy at the moment so I can't get any outdoor experience with the new lens. I think during the weekend we will get some fresh snow so I can try doing some landscapes and maybe test the autofocus capabilities in an outdoor environment.

I noticed that the RRS foot for the 70-200G and G II fits but is not a perfect match for the new lens as the length and height of the dovetail are different and I noticed that RRS is working on a new foot for the E version of the lens, but it is not yet available.  For now I will use a QR plate attached to the standard Nikon foot.

I find the weight reduction to be surprisingly noticeable and especially when lifting the camera body with lens attached, one can do it with one hand comfortably. When the tripod foot is in place and is in my left palm, the new position of the zoom ring seems perfect for easy access, but without the foot, I appear to instinctively reach for the focus ring. I guess 15+ years of using this type of zooms with the rear ring being the zoom ring means I need to learn a new habit.  :) I don't really want to keep the foot on the lens when I'm hand holding it especially with a QR plate it would be uncomfortable. I often see people shoot like this though, with their palm holding the foot. I think the best way to hold the new lens (without foot) is probably to hold my thumb and ring finger around the gap between the two rings and operate the zoom ring as needed. The zoom ring is very light to operate and gives an even resistance. I guess the main difference here is that with the VR G II version the holding position is such that the weight of the lens and the camera are mostly the responsibility of the left hand, and the right hand just operates the controls on the camera. With the VR E FL version, the right hand holds most of the weight of the camera + lens and the left hand has a minor role, basically operating the zoom ring and the lens buttons, if held in the way I described. If the foot is in place then holding the overall weight of the lens+camera setup can be done using the left hand as in the past. If I take off the foot and let the lens barrel rest on my left hand, this feels at least initially a bit uncomfortable as my left wrist needs to bend too much. Anyway this is just something to get used to, and mostly I think the ergonomics is improved thanks to the reduced weight and less front heavy setup. The left hand has now more functions to operate through the buttons, if the user should choose to take advantage of them.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2016, 20:38:52 »

Its relatilvely small size makes it much less consipicuous than the f/2.8 variants. Eventually, of course, most lenses may be updated, but this lens cannot really afford a significant price hike (FL) if it is to remain a high quality relatively affordable telephoto for the widest possible audience.

Thats what I tried to address above
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2016, 16:06:17 »
Basic outdoor stuff looks good.  It's a very contrasty lens. VR is very steady and autofocus nearly instantaneous.

f/4, 1/160s, ISO 1000, 160mm.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2016, 16:13:29 »
Few lenses in my experience can focus on the eye consistently when the subject walks towards the photographer and is fairly close. This is partly due to the difficulty in holding the focus sensor on the eye on the photographer's side. The 70-200/2.8E seems to do a good job in this scenario. 200mm, f/2.8, 1/400s, ISO 2000.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2016, 22:31:24 »
Out of focus areas seem quite nice at least at relatively short distances (this is cropped into a vertical from a horizontal original image, distance between camera and subject should be about 5m). I haven't run into any double line or ring artifacts in out of focus areas so it is an improvement from the VR G II version in that respect.

200mm, f/2.8, 1/320s, ISO 400.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2016, 22:52:11 »
Very nice samples. Thank you
Erik Lund