Author Topic: Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 ais + PN - 11 Extension Tube.  (Read 4626 times)

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 ais + PN - 11 Extension Tube.
« on: August 29, 2016, 16:39:59 »
Hello
       I have had a great hour spent out with the D800E and my recently aquired Macro Set Up.
       This is my selection from the first 30 images captured, also these are my first images taken with a dedicated Macro Kit.
       These are all taken hand held, the Unknown Insect and Grasshopper were taken at infinity focus.
       The Seed Pod and Ladybird are taken at 0.41 Metre closest focus.
        I chose to use f11, ISO 1600, as this was allowing shutter speeds between 400 - 640.
        In hind sight, I could have used a lower ISO, and utilised the flash to support more light on the subject.
       A SB 800 was used for the first time as well, it was mounted of camera on its foot support.
       Due to my lack of skills with the Flash, it did not fire at all times.I learnt it had to be in front of the camera body, to receive a signal.
       The ambient light was very good, so I directed the flash at about 45 degrees away from the subject, towards the sun.   

John Gallagher

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 ais + PN - 11 Extension Tube.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 17:01:25 »
The background is always the most difficult part of close-up photography. The longer the lens the easier you can avoid the most troublesome backgrounds as what appears to be a smooth and soft fond to one's subject becomes dissolved into a myriad of dots and disturbing lines (from dry foliage, grass stems, etc.).

Thus, the first general advice is, be extremely picky regarding the background, then the second directly as a consequence, use the stop-down button even more frequently than the shutter release. The third advice is think in terms of visual story-telling and composition. After these aspects have been mastered, think about light and exposure and suchlike mundane stuff.

For the viewer, whatever efforts you spend to get the picture are quite irrelevant. It is the result that counts. Period. I do know this is a major conceptual hurdle to get across. Many a nature photographer thus firmly believe being able to catch a picture of a rare animal or plant, or using years to get the special capture add to the final pictorial value, but the bitter truth is: no, it doesn't. One simply must overcome this mental block. 

Doing such photography over and over again and learn from one's mistakes is the only way to master the field of close-up photography. There is no short cut.

(in case you wonder, I'm speaking from personal experience on these matters).

The hover fly landing on the ragwort (Senecio jacobea) is nice, although I would be even happier with slightly softer light.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 17:25:37 »
I would try shooting without the flash and fully open at f/5.6 first :)
Having said that, apart from what Bjørn said about over exposure, they look just fine to me.
Perhaps there's dust on the sensor, perhaps you over-sharpened them a bit, but I like them blurry, so who am I to say a thing :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

John G

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 18:00:00 »
There is more than dust on my sensor, it more like a oil smear.
The Ragwort was showing a high amount of red blinkies in post, so I pulled the highlights and whites back a good amount.
Is the Stop Down Button also referred to as the DOF Preview Button ?
John Gallagher

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 18:29:40 »
Is the Stop Down Button also referred to as the DOF Preview Button ?

Yes, this is an alternate name for the very same thing.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 00:13:09 »
For the viewer, whatever efforts you spend to get the picture are quite irrelevant.

Very true and something that I easily forget.

John, if you want to maintain detail on colorful subjects ike flowers, make sure to check the individual RGB channels for blown high lights.  The overall histogram probably looked fine while the R channel was pretty blown.  Take advantage of modern sensor's excellent shadow performance, these are the kind shots I typically under-expose for
-Tristin

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 06:29:49 »
While Tristin's advice is true, don't forget evaluation of whether a channel is "blown" depends on the selected w/b. Ensure w/b is appropriate first, then assess the histogram.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:18:06 »
These look really good, they are detailed crisp and sharp.

Seems you have almost eliminated any shadows, this is both good and bad since they help making a better deception of depth, if you want that of course ;)
Erik Lund

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 13:17:56 »
John,

I like No.2, the Ladybug and her din din. Also No.3, the hover fly and yellow daisies.

I'm a fan of the 105/2.5 AIS Micro-Nikkor and I use it with the PK-12, 13 and PN-11. I try to use the shortest tube that will give me the magnification I want so as to keep the floating elements in the close focus position.

Best,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 14:12:54 »
The For the viewer, whatever efforts you spend to get the picture are quite irrelevant. It is the result that counts. Period. I do know this is a major conceptual hurdle to get across. Many a nature photographer thus firmly believe being able to catch a picture of a rare animal or plant, or using years to get the special capture add to the final pictorial value, but the bitter truth is: no, it doesn't. One simply must overcome this mental block.

So true  8)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 18:52:59 »
I love the ladybug shot as it includes so many other goggos (bugs)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

John G

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 20:23:12 »
it is enjoyable to see a new raised interest in my first macro images with a dedicated set up.
Thank you for your comments, they are very encouraging.
I will take a little time to look at other works that have similar subjects, this may help me come to a better understanding of the content of some of the comments.
I will be seeking out a few webs with spiders for my next live subjects. They are usually quite stationary absorbing the sun at this time of year.
John Gallagher