Author Topic: Hood for Voigtländer 90mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar SL-II /Nikon  (Read 5377 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Hood for Voigtländer 90mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar SL-II /Nikon
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 15:39:39 »
A pity you lost it because that hood is very versatile and can serve on other lenses as well, including the Coastal Optics 60/4 APO, UV-Nikkor 105/4.5, and the 45/2.8 Ai-P Nikkor.

The HN-35 (for 45/2.8 ) will work, but is very elusive and/or expensive. You can easily make a nice hood yourself, though, by combining a K-4 ring with a 52 > 3940.5 or similar step-down ring. If necessary, add a reversing ring 52-52 mm to get the thread genders lined up correctly. When the pieces come together and match, seal the joins with a few drops of epoxy glue.

The simplest and cheapest solution is just using a K-5 directly.

That's what I do as well - it works well for me.  I have the original hood, but I prefer not to lose it . . .

EDIT - Actually, now that I pulled the lens out, I use the HS-9 hood - big fan of these old snap-in (and reversible!) Nikon lens hoods.  This hood reverses snugly over the lens and is very compact in the bag.  Sure the hood might be a bit wide for 90mm, but it works way better than nothing at all.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 22:26:52 »
Has the SL I  a different filter thread?  The SL II has a 52mm.
The SL I has a 49mm filter thread instead - same as the SL I 75/2.5 and 180/4.

As was mentioned already, a good hood option for the 90/3.5 SL II is the K5 ring (from the K ring extension tube set) The K5 is 20mm long, so will provide a useful amount of protection and shade to the front lens. It has 52mm filter threads at both ends so it can screw directly onto the lens, and accept a regular 52mm lens cap at the other end. Since it does not flare out it is relatively compact, so you could keep it on more or less permanently. You could even try adding the K4 ring (10mm) on as well, giving a 30mm deep hood, although I suspect this will cause vignetting on FX cameras.

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 11:10:25 »
Another use of the K-ring set. What a wonderful item Nikon made!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:22 »
K-rings are the Nikon equivalent to 'Lego' bricks.

I probably have used over 25 complete sets over the years. At present I have a scarcity of these parts thus more sets are on the shopping list.

A very nice aspect of the K-ring sets is that they were made for the 'keen amateur' of their days, thus one usually obtains a pristine kit in a leatherette case.

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 22:08:28 »
Found! I just found the "lost" hood. Where? You do not believe it! Inside my K1-ring! (where it fitted 100%)