Author Topic: Two small landscapes  (Read 782 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Two small landscapes
« on: August 25, 2016, 18:39:09 »
I often have a liking for small, intimate landscapes, and here are two I shot earlier tis week.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Two small landscapes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 19:43:40 »
I like the one with the water...a pleasing combination of colors.
I can't relax with the first one....I can't get past the off-balance composition.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 20:05:54 »
I also like the second image.  It is indeed a small landscape but contains much larger space utilizing the reflection of the water, which ia a really cool idea and taste.

I like the color of the first image, but, for some reason, I cannot feel comfortable with it.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 20:56:45 »
Keith and Akira - thanks for commenting, and it's interesting that neither of you feel comfortable with #1. The curved bare branches create a lot of movement and I think of it as "the dancers" - three dancers with arched backs. I like both images myself (of course!) and the one in question is my favourite by a hair's-breadth.

Jan-Petter Midtgård

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 21:21:11 »
The cropping ruins the first one for me. I follow the branches upwards and suddenly crashes into the edge.

I do like the second picture.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 21:39:05 »
David,

I like both photos. I also enjoy them much more when I right click and select "View Image" to get rid of all the extraneous text and to cleanly separate the so for example I don't see the top of first image while I'm trying to enjoy the second. I recommend to other to get a pure view of these.

I think I'd crop the bottom of the first image so to focus the attention on the dead wood. I think that would strengthen the photograph.

Thank you for posting!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 22:52:42 »
Jan-Petter and David - thank you both for the kind and constructive comments.

Jan-Petter - the background suddenly got very messy just above the top of the existing shot. I did shoot some variations showing the full height of the branches - none of them worked, for me.

David - I'll take a look at what you suggest. Re-balancing the shot in this way might even help to ease Jan-Petter's feelings about the image.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:36 »
David, what makes me uncomfortable with the first image was aptly described by Jan-Petter.

I love the idea of use the trees to resemble dancers.  But I'm sorry to know that the messy background didn't allow you to frame as you wished, especially because everything else (concept, lighting, color, renditions of the trees and grasses) fits together really well...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira