Author Topic: Real focusstack this time  (Read 3927 times)

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Real focusstack this time
« on: July 24, 2016, 20:32:44 »
Orchids, 9 image stack in Zerene, result stacked again against one of the original images for background bokeh in AFPhoto, finished in CO9.

Interested to hear what you think about it.
Hans Cremers

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
Re: Real focusstack this time
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 22:24:11 »
I can't ever remember any time before feeling the need to use the word " Lucid ". Well I really felt the need to say it when I saw these images.
Focus Stacking Rocks  8)
John Gallagher

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 22:29:26 »
" Lucid "

Thanks John. Had to look up the word, but i understand, it's an apt description.

Focus Stacking Rocks  8)

I agree  ;D ;D
Hans Cremers

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 23:48:50 »
Top quality.
Anthony Macaulay

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 23:53:13 »
The result looks very natural.

The sharpness of the petals is a little uneven, but, since the point of orchid flower is the characteristic central part which is rendered nicely on both flowers, the unevenness doesn't seem to bother.  Or rather, the kind of imperfection makes the flower look nicely wet by keeping the entire image from looking sterile.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 09:29:15 »
Hans, this is the best stack thus far!
Please continue :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 12:13:51 »
really great - it is not "stacked to dead", or lets say you see superior quality without immediately thinking what made it so good, you just enjoy it
Thomas Stellwag

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 12:34:24 »
This looks very 'fresh'.  Great.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 13:33:11 »
Well ... ehhh ... wow, thank you Anthony, Akira, Jakov, Thomas and John.

I truly appreciate you looking and commenting and i'm sincerely humbled by the praise i'm receiving :blush:
Hans Cremers

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 15:20:19 »
It would be interesting to see, as a comparison, a single shot with stopped down aperture , just to see whether it's worth bothering with focus stacking ?

I got this in mind because :

# it seems the subject is not so close (to be confirmed, though) hence a sufficient DOF;

# we are in the critique field and so, I try to find out whether a special technique such focus stacking is really needed.

That said, I like you image , but is it really thanks the focus stacking technique ?

I have to add that you focus stacking is successful as I can't notice any artifact. ;)

A question : did you shot with fully open diaphragm ?

Cheers, Francis.

Francis Devrainne

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 18:36:49 »
It would be interesting to see, as a comparison, a single shot with stopped down aperture , just to see whether it's worth bothering with focus stacking ?

# it seems the subject is not so close (to be confirmed, though) hence a sufficient DOF;

# we are in the critique field and so, I try to find out whether a special technique such focus stacking is really needed.

That said, I like you image , but is it really thanks the focus stacking technique ?

I have to add that you focus stacking is successful as I can't notice any artifact. ;)

A question : did you shot with fully open diaphragm ?

Cheers, Francis.

Thanks Francis. It is the critique section indeed, so thank you for the sincere remarks.

I don't think increased DOF would cover the whole flower, it would at least increase the definition of the bg (very) much. These shots were at f/5.6, a medium aperture. If i shoot wide open, the bokeh gets in the way when stacking. It is a pain to edit the bokeh artifacts. I get less of them at medium aperture. I shot these with the Siggy 150 macro, so i was pretty close, but not 1:1.

Also, i am not at the experience level of Michael Erlewine or Bob Friedman yet, so i only try "simple" stacks. Not too deep and the subject not too difficult.

Thanks for the compliment about liking my picture.
Hans Cremers

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 21:42:54 »

Francis, I would think that getting TWO of stacked orchid flowers in focus from the tip of the front flower's petal vertically surrounding the central part to the central part of the one in the back would require the DOF of 10-15cm, which should be impossible in a single shot.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 23:36:32 »
Francis, I would think that getting TWO of stacked orchid flowers in focus from the tip of the front flower's petal vertically surrounding the central part to the central part of the one in the back would require the DOF of 10-15cm, which should be impossible in a single shot.

That's a good point, Akira ! There are TWO flowers indeed and they are NOT in the same focus point.

Actually my hypothesis applies for one flower only. So, yes the use use of focus stacking is needed for Hans's picture...

Also, i am not at the experience level of Michael Erlewine or Bob Friedman yet, so i only try "simple" stacks. Not too deep and the subject not too difficult.

Sorry, Hans, my critique is not any more valid as these orchis flowers are not in the same focus point (I mean a different distance from the front lens). So, yes, the need of focus stacking is justified !

Now I encourage you to carry on this technique, it's very promising !;) :D

Francis Devrainne

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 22:00:04 »
Thanks Akira for the help, indeed the 2 flowers are not in the same plane.

Thanks for the encouragement Francis.
Hans Cremers