Author Topic: Icelandic mystery  (Read 2280 times)

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Icelandic mystery
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:29:10 »
When I was there back in May this year, I saw a number of "doors into the ground" like this
It was in the middle of nowhere, hardly any houses or habitation for miles.

(Excuse the poor quality - grab shot taken through a moving car window)

I saw several of these in different areas. Any idea what they are or what they're used for?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Icelandic mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 11:58:29 »
Could be sheds for the sheep used in bad weather. Or a place to dry mutton and/or smoke it. Or a place to store supplies of dried grass for the winter season.

A Iceland native will of course be able to provide the true answer. I'm just guessing. Norwegian outbuildings for sheep tend to be shed-like without the attention to detail shown here.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:27 »
Could be a smoke house, yes. Do we have Icelandic natives on board?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

stenrasmussen

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 12:26:36 »
Icelandic turf house?

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 16:40:49 »
Ok, I can ask the question now without embarrassing myself   

Whilst travelling around Iceland, we were told about the folklore and myths surrounding mythical creatures, elves (Huldufólk) etc. In fact one road was mentioned as having to have the original route changed because it went over a site associated with elves.

So I wondered if places like these were treated as shrines or something similar related to the beliefs of the locals.
Even if not, part of me wants to believe this....:-[

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 16:58:51 »
The cultural beliefs concerned elves and other suchlike creatures are still very much present. I just read an article stating that more than 50% still respected these old traditions, and that impacts in nature either had to be abandoned or altered due to this.

In my country, ancient stories of the netherworld and its inhabitants are an active part of fairy tales, but never heard about site development being held up for similar reasons.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 17:21:07 »
Ok, I can ask the question now without embarrassing myself   

Whilst travelling around Iceland, we were told about the folklore and myths surrounding mythical creatures, elves (Huldufólk) etc. In fact one road was mentioned as having to have the original route changed because it went over a site associated with elves.

So I wondered if places like these were treated as shrines or something similar related to the beliefs of the locals.
Even if not, part of me wants to believe this....:-[

That's not an embarrassing question - its an interesting one!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 17:37:10 »
I vote for Bjørns first answer, just because it looks technically and functioning.

For the elves and others, what I´ve seen they paint doors and windows onto rocks,
which means, they take it serious in their own way and try not to disturb these neighbours.
Thomas Stellwag

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 17:43:27 »
Thanks Bjorn, Thomas and Elsa

Meanwhile if you wanted a soundtrack to admire the beauty of these countries near the Arctic circle, here's something from the Norwegian composer Gjeilo that I've only just discovered
Northern Lights, composed by Gjeilo