Author Topic: Nikkor TC-20E III 2x Teleconverter  (Read 23031 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikkor TC-20E III 2x Teleconverter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 15:53:51 »
The alternative to a TC is of course bringing a long lens with you. Sometimes this is practical, sometimes not.

I have many longer lens that could substitute for a 200/2 + TC20E, hence my decision. Upgrading to Mk.3 is not cost effective in my case.

The inferiority of the tripod collar of modern long Nikkors is wide recognised. For users in countries where light can be pretty low for long periods of the year, it is a major concern. Other users operate under more conducive light climates and might be less troubled because exposure times are much shorter.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 16:05:58 »
Oh dear. Checked my notes and apparently it is the TC-20E Mk.3 I own ...  Remember now I got it because it held hopes for emergency enlarging the reach of the 200/2 AFS. Later experiences showed its behaviour was less consistent than those early trials indicated, though.

Note to self: A reminder to check field notes more instead of relying on memory for all those details.

At present the TC-20EW.3 is on loan to a friend together with a 500 lens. I'm not in a hurry to get it back at present.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 16:06:41 »
this is on the 70-200VR2 :o :o :o
not bad. pity i sold my TC...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 16:10:12 »
I really really love the first falcon shot! The series before is also great and I cannot really decide
if I like the IQ of the D810 or the D500 better.

I got one of the first D500s in early May and love her more and more every day.

I even thought of getting a second one. Can hardly wait for the D8xx upgrade....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 16:12:17 »
My experience with TCs also varies a lot.
I only use them on long, non-zoom, lenses.

TC14v3 is ok with all (200, 400 and 600)
TC17v2 sold all of them, after have tried 5 samples and none gave the results expected...
TC20v3 not yet a definite opinion on those lenses, being the 400 the one that liked it the most, but results are not always predictable

TC14v2 sold, good indeed but v3 is better
TC20v2 sold, and really inferior to v3

John Koerner

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 16:34:19 »
I really really love the first falcon shot! The series before is also great and I cannot really decide
if I like the IQ of the D810 or the D500 better.

Thank you. The light was best in that one, I agree.

The IQ of the D810 is marginally better, but less useful. Even 600mm is "short" more often than not.

I use the D500 9x out of 10 now, even though I have both at the-ready.

The reach, that wonderful 1.5x reach, makes all the difference in the world ... that and the wonderful AF system make the D500 the better field camera.

I got one of the first D500s in early May and love her more and more every day.

I even thought of getting a second one. Can hardly wait for the D8xx upgrade....

My sentiments exactly ... on both counts :)

John Koerner

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 16:36:53 »
TC20v2 sold, and really inferior to v3

That is exactly the conclusion of this review:

• "Without a doubt, the new Nikon TC-20E III is a huge improvement over the Nikon TC-20E II. While I have not had a chance to actually test both side-by-side, I have tried using the Nikon TC-20E II in the past and was very disappointed with the results, even when used with fast lenses like Nikon 300mm f/2.8G. As can be seen in the previous pages of this review, the new TC-20E III is capable of producing excellent sharpness and contrast with most fast prime lenses and the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II."

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 17:14:42 »
I have a TC-20E III which I use almost exclusively with my Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 VR II.  There is a slight quality fall-off, but the results remain very good.  I have too little usage for a 600mm, so the TC alternative works out for me.

Nikon D4s, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 VR II; 1/4000-8000 s f/5.6; Fuerteventura, Canary Islands (SP)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 10:36:15 »
Really great photos of wildlife and action.

I also have expended much thought and trials to match my lens suite to the outing, i.e. hiking and/or fieldwork versus shooting from a hide or a local amble from camp or study. All these wonderful instruments now available to today's outdoor photographer (plus budget juggling!) makes for hard choices compared to the era when manual IF-ED primes were the pinnacle of optical quality. And the argument by the late Galen Rowell rings all the more truer today - especially his essay 'When You Can't Take it with You'  Outdoor Photographer, September 1998. cf links to his essays on the family website in the thread on the 20mm f4.
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1644.0.html

So as empitomized in the fast 300 with TC's, the ideal 'Dinky Nikon Inventory' balances min weight with best possible performance ..... At least for DX, the collation of empirical evidence in this thread convinces me to take the 300 f2.8 VRII over the new 400 f2.8 FL VRII (let alone the cost differential). Still I argue cost & weight strictures rank a 300 f4 PF higher (provided any VR niggles with the particular purchase do not interfere). Obviously, one is running out of speed (f8) with the TC-20E III extending a 300 f4, but the TC-14E III delivers a 630 f5.6 thanks to the 'DX Effect'

http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2015/06/25/nikon-300mm-f4-pf-review-the-death-of-super-telephotos/

Most grateful thanks to you all for yet another most valuable thread of shared expertise and advice

kind regards

Woody

John Koerner

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 16:16:00 »
Really great photos of wildlife and action.

Thanks, and agree on the great action photos also.

I also have expended much thought and trials to match my lens suite to the outing, i.e. hiking and/or fieldwork versus shooting from a hide or a local amble from camp or study. All these wonderful instruments now available to today's outdoor photographer (plus budget juggling!) makes for hard choices compared to the era when manual IF-ED primes were the pinnacle of optical quality. And the argument by the late Galen Rowell rings all the more truer today - especially his essay 'When You Can't Take it with You'  Outdoor Photographer, September 1998. cf links to his essays on the family website in the thread on the 20mm f4.
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1644.0.html

Agree with everything you say here as well.

The 300mm (6.4 lb) is what you want on a hike, not the massive 600mm (8.4 lb). As mentioned in the beginning of the thread, my combo gives me 300mm - 900mm range.

However, in a blind situation, the 600mm lens would double that with the same two cameras, giving me 600-1800mm of reach :o
For this reason, I plan on adding a the 600mm FL ED VR within a year, after I save up for it.

On a hike, though, it's too much IMO. Along with the 300mm VR II, I carry between 2 and 4 AI-S lenses on a front belt pouch: the 15mm f/3.5 Ai-S, 20mm f/2.8 AI-S (or 28mm), and 50mm f/1.2 AI-S.

No backpack needed, all available on my waist. It's wonderful.

So as empitomized in the fast 300 with TC's, the ideal 'Dinky Nikon Inventory' balances min weight with best possible performance ..... At least for DX, the collation of empirical evidence in this thread convinces me to take the 300 f2.8 VRII over the new 400 f2.8 FL VRII (let alone the cost differential). Still I argue cost & weight strictures rank a 300 f4 PF higher (provided any VR niggles with the particular purchase do not interfere). Obviously, one is running out of speed (f8) with the TC-20E III extending a 300 f4, but the TC-14E III delivers a 630 f5.6 thanks to the 'DX Effect'

http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2015/06/25/nikon-300mm-f4-pf-review-the-death-of-super-telephotos/

That is a great review, thanks for sharing.

I agree on the 400mm. Fabulous lens, but the $11,000 price, and the added weight, were too much for me. Esp. for hiking.

Now, as for ranking the 300 f/4 "higher" than the 300mm f/2.8, hmmm, that's a tough one. Weight-wise, convenience-wise, and cost-wise, yes. No question.

However, sacrificing 270mm of reach is a big hit IMO. 630mm vs. 900mm is a massive reach deficit (I know, because I get 600mm of reach with the D810, and almost never use it now because of how much more significant that extra 270mm is that I get on my D500).

The 300 f/4 simply doesn't work as well with the 2x TC III as does the 300 f/2.8 II. AF doesn't work at all, and the resolution isn't as good.

It's an individual judgment call, of course, but to be reduced in my reach by 270mm would be unacceptable IMO. If I hadn't have seen the difference, I would be thrilled with getting 600mm on my D810 + 2x II ... but having seen the difference, I only use wides (and my macro) on my D810 now. The 300mm f/2.8 II is bolted to my D500 :)

Hell, there are many times the combined 900mm isn't enough reach, let alone 600. Here is an example of a 900mm grab I got yesterday:

No crop here. That is as close as I was able to get with 900mm before this pregnant lizard ran back down its hole ... let alone if I lost another ~300mm of reach by using the 1.4x III. No thanks.

With birds, forget it. Many times 900mm shots need to be cropped ... so, to me, what makes the 2x TC III such a value is the additional reach.

And, unfortunately, getting this reach does not work as well on the 300mm f/4 PF as it does the 300mm f/2.8 II.

So the 300 f/2.8 II is the way to go IMO.

Most grateful thanks to you all for yet another most valuable thread of shared expertise and advice
kind regards
Woody

Thanks to you as well, that was a great article.

The 300 f/4 looks like a handy and wonderful option, esp. with the 1.4x.
Its only weighing 1.6 lb sounds wonderful as well (not to mention its $2,000 price compared to $5600).

However, not working with the 2x TC III, and losing ~300mm of reach in the process, just was not a trade-off I personally was willing to make.

Jack

chambeshi

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 14:17:51 »
Belated thanks for detailed feedback on these 300 Nikkors. So I have been reconciling with the reality to expand my budget for a 300 f2.8 as well as the 300 f4 PF!

Being so much lighter and compact, the latter has major advantages of portability

kind regards

Woody

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 00:05:47 »
my TC2IIIE is not that sharp... consider yourself very lucky.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 00:07:18 »
Now we are two of that observation.

John Koerner

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 17:13:24 »
my TC2IIIE is not that sharp... consider yourself very lucky.

Sorry to hear that.

I don't know if I am "lucky" ... or if you are unlucky ... as there are a lot of excellent reviews on it, so it could be you were on the wrong-end of the quality-control line.
(I also don't know what lens you've tried it with, what aperture you're shooting at, if you're hand-holding or using a tripod, etc., because these can affect your results also.)

Here are some more recent shots I've taken with mine:

Mule Deer
Nikon D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II |  Nikon 2x TC III (900mm - no crop)

The Ravens

Common Merganser

Robin Redbreast

A Cute Squirrel :D

Recent trip to Yosemite ... these were the highlights in an otherwise totally-overcrowded weekend :o

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 17:23:03 »
Belated thanks for detailed feedback on these 300 Nikkors. So I have been reconciling with the reality to expand my budget for a 300 f2.8 as well as the 300 f4 PF!

Being so much lighter and compact, the latter has major advantages of portability

kind regards

Woody

Sounds like your mind was made up before you posed the question.

I empathize with your decision, however: after toting-around the 300mm f/2.8 II for 3 consecutive 8-hour hikes, slung over my shoulder on a tripod, I feel like someone beat my back and shoulders with a crowbar :-\

However, that said, I wouldn't switch to the 300 f/4 PF, because it can't take the 2x TC III ... and so I wouldn't have the reach I enjoy now. The lesser reach of the "lighter, cheaper" 300 f/4 would have meant I would have failed to get the same shots I was able to get ... having (essentially) a 900mm lens, thanks to the much higher-quality of the 300mm f/2.8 II + 2x TC III.

To each his own,

Jack