Author Topic: [Theme] Where's your Big 5?  (Read 6070 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
[Theme] Where's your Big 5?
« on: January 31, 2016, 17:13:37 »
I have not photographed the big 5 - and I guess most of you havent either - but maybe we can make up the big 5 between us.
I have a family photo of the elephants.

In Africa, the big five game animals are the African lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, African leopard, and White/Black rhinoceros. The term big five game (sometimes capitalised or quoted as "Big Five") was coined by big-game hunters and refers to the five most difficult animals in Africa to hunt on foot.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Andy

• NG Member
Re: Where's your big 5
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 19:21:37 »
Trying, but still not done.

Rhino / Masai Mara

Lunch time

Siesta

Going home

Simba

Observing

rgds,
Andy

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:23:33 »
Andy your pics are beautiful.

I live in South Africa - yet havent photographed the Rhino yet - I have seen it plenty - but always too far to get a reasonable photo. But that is soon to change as I will be visiting some Big5 Game reserves in the near future. Leopards I have avoided as EVERY ONE I know shoots them.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 19:14:02 »
Elsa that first image is beautiful. Love the symmetry.
I struggle most with Elephant. On the one hand, I find them absolutely fascinating, but on the other hand they are very destructive.
Not quite as bad as us humans though...

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 19:19:24 »
Rhino, but I only have white...

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 19:26:11 »
Buffalo, Africa's Black Death, is considered the only animal in Africa that will routinely hunt the hunter.

I have been in the middle of herds of more than 300 buffalo several times, and they are normally as docile as common cows, but walk up on an old dagga bull in a dry river-bed and you suddenly understand why Hemingway said that they look at you as if you have violated their mother and owe them money to boot...

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 19:31:04 »
Sorry Elsa,  but if a leopard gives me a chance, I am going to photograph it. To me it is just about the most beautiful animal around.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 19:39:36 »
And Lion. King of the beats, they say.
And you will believe it if you ever walk into a pride with youngsters.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 19:43:17 »
And finally a sad reminder that even these magnificent beasts are mortal, like us.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 19:47:00 »
your images are fascinating Peter. Only a white rhino.... is that PC ???:P

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 19:49:17 »
Haha, no, definitely not.

But the hook-lips hide from me...

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 20:03:40 »
You might be reported for that racist post hahaha - whatever you do - DONT tweet it  ::)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 14:36:14 »
Thanks for starting this thread Elsa, Having never been to Africa, I don't have any shots to share, but I enjoyed all posted here.
Jørgen Ramskov

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 13:56:42 »
Andy your pics are beautiful.
Thank you Lisa.

Sorry for the late response, I am currently travelling.

I want to share a little story. Back in December 2007, the D300 just became available, I had to go for a trip to Nairobi. I literally picked up the D300 on the way to the airport and packed a few lenses in my bag - in the hope, that some foto opps might arise. Finishing my duties on Friday afternoon, I had 1 1/2 days to spent until my flight would depart on sunday noon. Instead of staying in the hotel or city, I opted to fly to the Masai Mara with a little Buschtaxi, returning on Sunday at 11am. Given my super short stay at the lodge, I asked if I could get a driver for the full day - and not only the usual morning and evening safari. Henry and I spent all available time out there and it was fascinating to observe, how he read the tracks and found so many great spots and animals in this beautiful area. It was like a never ending dream of impressions and photo opportunities.

One example: On sunday morning, we found a lionesse with her partner nanny and 6 little lion puppies. Together with this lion familiy, we were there for hours - completely alone. I felt privileged to be able to observe and kind of "participate" in the play of the young lions among themselves. Sometimes they approached us and the distance was just a few meters, when they either fell asleep, or started to play.

In the following series are some of the many photos I was able to capture with my (then new) D300. It was indeed a precious time I could not have better hoped and planned for.

This is how we found them. One of the little lions "observed" the close-by valley - exposing his silhouette. It reminded a bit about the scene in the movie The lion king, when Simba was shown his kingdom.

Meanwhile, others had nothing to do, and waited how the day will evolve

Henry told me that the baby lions are approx 3 months old, but watching them how they move, the muscles and the elegant motion, someone could easily imagine why this little animals might later be seen as "kings".

Better together

Sharing observations. One left, one right

Always looking for new things

actively looking

passively looking - adventures might show up by themselves

Even the most dedicated observer needs sometimes a nap

If nothing shows up, playing together is a good substitute

mom was watching to make sure, that all 6 puppies are safe

The lions were so young, that they didn't have claws yet, so climbing on little trees was often a serious challenge - triggering many laughs on our behalf. But if successful, the view was very rewarding.

3 of them - left the conqueror, right on the ground the one who hasn't started yet

Meanwhile, another puppy found some toys to show off

Too demanding for this one - he fell asleep in a moment (and later fell off the tree completely)

Everytime I see the pictures, my memory immediatly jumps back in time and brings this feeling back, what a unique experience in my life these few hours were. Unforgettable.

rgds,
Andy

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 14:01:40 »
Wow, what an experience Andy! Many, many wonderful photos, thanks a lot for sharing your story and shots.
Jørgen Ramskov